Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Spider 1600 has Dunlop brakes. I have read that these cars never came with a servo on the brake system. However, this car has a one way valve on the manifold and it had a bracket (semi circular - parallel to the firewall) on the inner fender for what looked like a servo. Did these ever come with a servo? If so, which servo did the come with? Thanks, Tony

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
it had a bracket (semi circular - parallel to the firewall) on the inner fender for what looked like a servo.
I think you are referring to the bracket for the air cleaner. But without a photo, I'm just guessing.

To my knowledge, Alfa put boosters on hardtops in '66, but not spiders. Since they were using the same engine in all three models, there would be a port in the intake manifold for the vacuum line. I'm not sure how this was plugged on the spiders, but over the years it is possible that your '66 got an engine or manifold from a car with a booster.

To make up for the lack of a booster, 1600 spiders got smaller bore master cylinders than the coupes and sedans.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts