Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, to everyone on the east coast I wish a safe harbor as Irene grinds her way north. Meanwhile, a couple of petty problems out here in the west:

1. I've received a new idler bearing/pulley from Jason. It comes without the bushing in the center through which the mounting bolt goes. How do I get the bushing out of the old unit and insert it in the new unit?

2. One of the bolts holding in the thermostat unit has lost its grip. It's not broken but the threads appear to be slightly stripped. It won't tighten up. I'm hoping that a new bold with fresh threads will hold. What are the size and specs of the bolt? And if I need to go slightly larger to get a fresh grip, what size do you recommend?

3. This is mainly for future reference (should there be a future for this car I've been driving for the last 21 years): I had intended to replace all the belts, but when I got to the power steering belt I took a look at the set up and said, "uh oh." I understand now what Steve meant when he said it's a #*[email protected]#+ to deal with (I think those are his words). I removed the old belt by removing the pulley (as he recommended), examined it, and determined that it was good enough to go back in. However, should I ever change my mind, what are the specs for the off-set wrench which is needed to remove the bolt behind the banjo fitting on the top of the pump? Or is it assumed that you must remove the fitting -- at which point the PS fluid drains out requiring a refill and bleeding of the system?

Mac D.

·
1991 164L
27,688 Posts
First, to everyone on the east coast I wish a safe harbor as Irene grinds her way north. Meanwhile, a couple of petty problems out here in the west:

1. I've received a new idler bearing/pulley from Jason. It comes without the bushing in the center through which the mounting bolt goes. How do I get the bushing out of the old unit and insert it in the new unit?

2. One of the bolts holding in the thermostat unit has lost its grip. It's not broken but the threads appear to be slightly stripped. It won't tighten up. I'm hoping that a new bold with fresh threads will hold. What are the size and specs of the bolt? And if I need to go slightly larger to get a fresh grip, what size do you recommend?

3. This is mainly for future reference (should there be a future for this car I've been driving for the last 21 years): I had intended to replace all the belts, but when I got to the power steering belt I took a look at the set up and said, "uh oh." I understand now what Steve meant when he said it's a #*[email protected]#+ to deal with (I think those are his words). I removed the old belt by removing the pulley (as he recommended), examined it, and determined that it was good enough to go back in. However, should I ever change my mind, what are the specs for the off-set wrench which is needed to remove the bolt behind the banjo fitting on the top of the pump? Or is it assumed that you must remove the fitting -- at which point the PS fluid drains out requiring a refill and bleeding of the system?

Mac D.
1. It is two split bushings in bearing so spray with some PB blaster or WD-40, etc and frap pulley flat on a work bench first one side and if bushing does not move try other side. If neither fraps lossens either bushing then try inserting small punch or flat blade screwdriver/chisel in through bolt hole and try to get one bushing or the other to move and remove it then drive out other bushing.

2. The three thermostat bolts are M7x1.00 fine thread and 55mm long. Not a ready found bolt in size or length. I suspect your upper water pump housing is stripped out and depending on which hole is stripped you could try to find a longer M7x1.00x60mm bolt and see if there are any threads left deeper in the bolt hole. If one of two holes on each side of the lower front hose outlet you can drill through stripped holes with a 1/4" drill and install a longer 6mm bolt with washers and nut or a 1/4" bolt with washers/nut by using a slightly larger 9/32" drill bit.

If rear hole near rear timing belt cover it is a blind hole into housing and if you drill it through I are pretty sure you will strike water (coolant).

3. You need a 13mm or 1/2" distributor long L-handle wrench such as Sears used to sell.

OBTW we are home again jiggity jig safe and sound and have retrieved my 164s from city parking garage.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
1. Remove the old bushing by soaking it in penetrating oil and driving it out with a punch. It is in there in 2 halves. Locate the seam where the 2 halves meet and place the punch on the seam. It should come out.

2. Likely the new bolt won't hold. Size is M7 X 1.0. I put in an over sized one once and wish I hadn't It's not any more work to put in a HeliCoil or similar.

3. The new Power Steering belt should go on with suitable tension by removing the
pulley off of the PW pump and installing the new belt and pulley together.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Sorry, Steve. I was answering will eating lunch. Didn't know you had. Glad to hear your home safe and sound. How did the beach house survive?

·
1991 164L
27,688 Posts
Sorry, Steve. I was answering will eating lunch. Didn't know you had. Glad to hear your home safe and sound. How did the beach house survive?
Both houses OK, Alfa house back yard needs a good raking tomorrow.

·
1991 164L
27,688 Posts
Steve, pardon my ignorance; explain the word "frap."

Mac D
Grap one flat side pulley in your hand and frap (slap) other flat side of it on bench top like smacking a stuck jar top on a jar onto a counter top to loosen lid and bushing one one side or the other may break free.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Steve. A new word every day. Meanwhile, I got the bushing out with no frapping, thank you. Just a gentle tap at the seam as suggested.

As for the recommendation that I could install the new PS belt by placing it over the loose pulley and stretching it into place while repositioning the pulley -- well, I tried that but it didn't work. I couldn't get the pulley back into position with the new belt on it. Maybe I didn't work at it hard enough. But there's only so much hard work I'm willing to put up with in my old age.

Mac D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts