Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished a front brake job yesterday...hoses, rotors, calipers and pads. Now to address the serpentine belt tensioner...again! About a month ago it was really noisy and had been for a week so I put on a used spare I had. It lasted a month.

Are there any updates from anyone whose run an alternate idler like the Gates 38043, Dayco 89007, or the Saab 7598634. Has anyone run any of these idlers for like 30,000 miles. Anyone had any failures with them?

I just bought the Gates 38043 from NAPA for $32 and will put it on this afternoon. I'm just interested in hearing someone with some experience with them.

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
Finished a front brake job yesterday...hoses, rotors, calipers and pads. Now to address the serpentine belt tensioner...again! About a month ago it was really noisy and had been for a week so I put on a used spare I had. It lasted a month.

Are there any updates from anyone whose run an alternate idler like the Gates 38043, Dayco 89007, or the Saab 7598634. Has anyone run any of these idlers for like 30,000 miles. Anyone had any failures with them?

I just bought the Gates 38043 from NAPA for $32 and will put it on this afternoon. I'm just interested in hearing someone with some experience with them.
I can repack one for you using Krytox grease, Not sure if you read the post on the grease and procedure. Very good results from it.
Want to try it, send me a pulley with a good bearing and good seals, I can clean and re-pack it for $20 plus shipping back.

I use to eat through these like mad, new used, repressed new bearings even alternate pulleys. So far no problems with new one with krytox, no noise, no play in the bearing at all, smooth and quite. Also went through the whole summer where before the new bearings would make noise in a month or so and fail shortly after.

Just an option. This way should last you for years before it will need a cleaning and re-pack again.

Jason

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
My Saab pulley has been on for right at a year now and still running fine. I'm keeping an eye on it but no noises from it thus far. BTW, my car is a daily driver. This pulley was a cheap Scan tech, which now that I as a Volvo owner now know, doesn't have the best reputation in the world. In fact, they call it Scamtech on the brickboard. The next one I buy will be a genuine SAAB pulley as it should be a better quality one. This is the main reason I am keeping an eye on it and my ears tuned for any sign of trouble. ;) I could go ahead and get another now to be on the safe side.
Charles

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Serpentine pulleys I am now using

I am using originale serpentine bearing on my own 164B, using Ford bearing on Sara's 164B w/AT and the Dayco one equal to Ford one on my Rosso Rescue project 93 164L. All three work well for me but I/we don't drive the miles I used to before I retired. So don't have any great useage on Sara's 164 or Rosso 164.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts