Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose that this has been covered, the pulley for the main serpentine belt on 164's is very expensive. As an alternative, SKF bearing no. 63004-2RS1 is an exact replacement and will need to be installed with a press from a machine shop, pressing out the old as well. Don't wait for the bearing to seize or you will have sacrificed the pulley itself as the old bearing twists and grinds away at the pulley innards, making the pulley trash. My most recent bearing only lasted 24k miles.

Another option is to use Ford bearing YS-233 F8KZ-8678-AA. runs in the 20 buck range, you will have to shim it one washer's thickness in back and one bigger diameter washer in the front replacing the flanged bolt Ford supplies; also a longer metric bolt will be needed for the adaptation. I'm using it now, it's just fine.

Test for old bearing: Take it out and with arm attached spin it. If it has a hollow metallic sound, replace. It's no longer any drama now as I keep a spare in the trunk, along with an extra arm so as to do a quick swap and get ready for the next round.;)

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Bob aka "romroc" good to hear from you. I, also am running Ford tensioner pulley and bearing assembly YS-233 F8KZ-8678-AA aka Dayco 89007 based on your mech's info you sent me last year.. I have Ford one on Sara's 91 164B and Dayco one on my 93 164L. I got some longer metric bolts from Pep Boys so I could insert spacer washer to prevent back of steel pulley from rubbing on mounting arm and allow me enough length to install lock washer and nut like original set up.

Spacer that comes with Ford part number threads onto new bolt and comes with some Dayco pulleys but not all.

I think I had posted pictures of parts I used on this BB sometime ago.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
164 bearing

Thanks to all and to Alfisto Steve in particular for the interesting feedback. Great to hear from you! I now have five Alfas and life is very good indeed. My son Adam now has a Milano.

They are usually not troublesome with some accounting for the huge pleasure they provide. Seasons greetings to each and all.....!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts