Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay of all the vexing tasks that I circle back around to every few days, this has gone on the longest. I can not figure out how to get the splined burman worm shaft off the UJ. Since the splined connection at the pitman arm requires a gear puller, I can't see how I'm going to remove this one without some sort of mechanical advantage - yet I also can't see how to get a puller around the shaft. Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
That red arrow on right , just to the left of that is a slot where a bolt went though. I that slot insert a fat old screwdriver or chisel to spread it so it can come off the shaft

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried... failed. This thing is not budging.
How does the UJ come apart?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Thats the way I did it...use some PB, spread it and it should come off I wish I could be there to help you ! Its been on for years ..it will need a little help!!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PB, check
Spread collar, check

How did you pull it? Just grab the thing and yank or tap back side with mallet?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Just tapped it off. Have done dozen or so never had a problem ! IDK your situation?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GOT IT!

wow could not feel better. prybar between the square sheetmetal collar and U joint did the trick. Now to FINALLY rebuild my (replacement) burman box with the original worm shaft. geez.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts