Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this is a bit weird - hoping the collective hive mind can help me

1994 Spider (series 4) soft top

My father reckons he had an accessory that fitted over the soft top hood when it was folded down, to minimise buffeting by wind - it's a bit hard to get a clear picture from him due to memory loss, but so far I've worked out it's "made of plywood, with a metal stiffening bar, covered in soft material, dark colour'

We've just had the car imported from UK to Australia and I cannot for the life of me find a hard cover protector in the vehicle

Any ideas what I am supposed to be looking for - or any distributors?

Any ideas muchly appreciated

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I've never had a need for the item you are describing but if you search 'Alfa Romeo Spider Wind Deflector' you'll probably find several aftermarket options (perhaps try the car before you buy a deflector; you might not need it):

https://www.cabriosupply.com/alfa-romeo-fastback-spider-wind-deflector-105-115-1964-1994

There was also a convertible top 'Boot Cover' that the factory supplied with the spiders to cover the top while it was down or stowed. If you raise and lower the top often this item gets to be a pain to install and remove but if you can just lower the top and keep it down, driving on nice days, it does finish off the area nicely.

Mark

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The only thing that brings to mind is a ‘wind deflector’

There are instructions on this BB for DIY of plexiglass.

Or item AC073 at ClassicAlfa.com is a fold up solution that attaches to the top frame. Lots of pictures and details about it on the BB as well.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Mark. lol

Typing at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good day, mate!!
Welcome to the forum!!
The collective Alfa knowledge of this BB is great!!
Based upon my experience I've seen two factory variations of "fold-able convertible top" covers
First-generation was totally soft like this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Spider-Black-Soft-Top-Boot-Cover-1970-89-Used-/333326991320?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=mk2MCa8VjrpUQJ4ax9hw5CaAs68%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Next gen had plastic reinforced side panels and went deeper into the "package shelf".

Then there are "home made" custom versions...who's design is limited on by one's imagination, as evidenced by one of my earlier posts... " Alfa Cafe Racer*!! Purests open at your peril!! LOL "

I would surmise many of these "customs" were inspired by early generations of British sport car tonneau covers that protected from the drizzle in the UK!! I've always thought these were especially cool, some with zippers down the center for solo or dual occupants (oh how I lusted for an Austin Healey 3000, in my college years!!)!! But I've never seen one of these "soft total tonneaus adapted to an Alfa (Sun in Italy and Southern Cal?)!! Maybe I need to look more??

Welcom to the forum!!! Be sure to post some pictures of your Alfa!!

Best to you and Dad!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Interesting
As I was typing my reply, five other guys had posted before 8 AM!!!
"Good on ya" guys
Way to go on helping out!!
But don't think we can help him on "Roo Bars" info
Maybe he can send us some pictures of how they do it "down under"
OMG how do I stop being a "Poser Aussie"...all ment in good fun!!!
Guess my stop for fuel in an Australian truck stop and seeing the massive Kangeroo Bars on the front of trucks has affected me more than I realized!! LOL

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
that soft top boot on ebay above is actually not correct for a UK car.
In the USA they got a base and a veloce model S4 spider. The ebay cover is the smaller type.

In EU and UK we got only the veloce S4, therefore the veloce boot cover (tan or black) which fits right up to the back of the seats.
No wood, no metal stiffening bar, in fact no white plastic clips along the back either.
this is my EU car with it fitted and this is what 'kangarooisland' should be looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
For those of us yanks who are not familiar with "Roo Bars" on big semis', the real ones are a sight to behold!!
I'm a bit squeamish when I take "Alfa Girl" out on the interstate to duel with semis'...I keep thinking, "Hey trucker buddy, look down; I'm here!!"
To duel with an Aussie Truck is not for the faint of heart!!
Be Brave!!

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Big Trucks with Roo Bars

Dang
Both my and Spiderseri4's images didn't post
I downloaded an image from the internet
saved it as a .jpg and dragged it to the "Drag and Drop File Upload" area
which showed it loaded
But when posted it only showed "Attached Images" with no images!!??
Please advise
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Solved

Ah
Figured it out
If one posts via the "Quick Reply" link an image is risky
To ensure one's image gets posted, one needs to go via the "Reply" link on the lower left which brings up a "Reply to Thread" page, in a new window with a "title" block and a cool "topic review" string at the bottom of the page!!
Just FYI
Image is of me with my first Junk Yard encounter with a "donated" alfa that couldn't find love on the auction circuit.....sad

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Double Dang
Now that I reloaded the thread I get the images
Go figure!!
But if I want to use an image in my posts I'm going the "reply link" vrs "quick reply"
Sorry to high jack the thread
just
FYI
Paul

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
you can of course use "quick reply" and upload images very easily.
at the bottom of "quick reply" space where you type, just click on "Go Advanced"

then you will see the paperclip symbol on the tool bar.

click this to open the "Manage Attachments" window and upload any image from your computor....once the image/s show on the list, and you are happy to upload them then you have to click "close this window" on the top blue stripe alongside 'manage attachments'.

If you just hit the red "X" in the main window, the images are gone.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,163 Posts
When I bought my spider it came with the Veloce/QV top boot but was in worn shape. It fit nicely and didn't buffet around. I replaced it with an "Italian" replacement, paid dearly for it and the fit sucks compared to the original. It buffets around in the wind and is just not of the originals quality. I have been thinking of remedies for this issue and it entails some 1" PVC spanned between the sides of the top frame by the pillar, under tension to slightly "bow" up to tighten the top cover. It will also have a strut from the bowed PVC to the back wall of the parcel shelf for added rigidity. I know my theory is sound, I just have to try it in a practical demonstration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all

Looks like I am after the S4 Veloce boot cover

Does anyone know of anyone who makes these still?

I can't imagine we have any in Australia!

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
your car is silver so I guess its a black one you are looking for?

you can get them new (repros) at various suppliers, but they come in bits (pvc material, the two big plastic wings etc) so the cost really adds up (you are looking at just under 650 AUS!) and you have to glue the bits together too!
here one supplier:
https://www.okp.de/xtc2/105/115-Spider/70-Interior/Tops/Soft-top-cover-Spider-90-93-black-only-cover::17564.html
and then these bits you need too:
https://www.okp.de/xtc2/105/115-Spider/70-Interior/Tops/Hook-set-inside-conversion-top-with-fixations-Spider-90-93::24673.html

remember this is all aftermarket stuff, so don't expect OEM.

I personally would wait and keep an eye out on ebay for a good used one. I see these once in a while for about 200 euros thereabouts. (see ebay: 273950458178 for one presently on Ebay UK...it has red stitching so likely for an S3, but it will fit the S4 - the broken clip can be bought and easily replaced - and price is fair)
OK you need to find an ebayer who wants to pack it up and send it to Australia!

Or post an advert in classifieds here on BB or on the UK AlfaOwner forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks @spiderserie4 - that is very helpful

I'll keep an eye out - heading into spring here in Australia and it'd be good to drive with the top down - I am imagining that without a hood cover, there is a risk of damage?

I really appreciate the advice and help you have given

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Roo....Fine to drive with the top down, most Alfas are forced to drive this way, just keep it under 250kph!! LOL. Glad the boot cover issue is sorted for you, good on ya S4!!! I agree with S4 that these covers are available on ebay as I bought a nice one for $250, but it has never been on the car as my car is on stands and I'm summering in the mountains to avoid the desert heat in Arizona; so wasn't 100% on how it worked. Mine has 3 zippers on it. I assume to get to the package shelf without removing the cover. Anyway to make a long story short; I'm a wine guy and via the internet was treated great by Aussies on my "down-under" wine tours....so to payback, I'll offer to help you with shipping coordination. PM me if I can help you. Best, Ciao Paul

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,163 Posts
The 2 side zippers are for the seat belts, the center one is for access. After you glue the plastic "shoulders" in the top it is quite easy and fast to install.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts