Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently discovered that my driver's door does not close tight. What is the trick to adjusting the jamb to pull the door in tighter? Adjust the striker?

Before I mess with it, any advice would be appreciated.
-Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rob, First rule of thumb is you never want to use the striker to adjust the door in any direction except inward. Any other pressure up or down will put undue pressure on your door latch causing it to wear prematurely. I would first remove the striker from the jamb and shut the door, check your gaps and does the body lines on the door line up to the ones on the adjacent panels if yes reinstall striker and adjust if no then the door should be adjusted to fit the hole correctly then install the striker.:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
ga mtn

I have the same problem on a series 3. Kind of a dumb question, but here goes, is the striker the part on the door or the body? I am assuming it is the part on the body, and if that is the case if you remove it are the screws in the body captive( will not fall inside rear quarter panel).

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
203 Posts
The striker is mounted in the jamb or on the body its self and no I have never had a problem with anything falling down in the quarter. Keep in mind with the age of these cars unless you have always owned your car a rear end collision of some sort is not out of the question and can greatly alter the gaps on both of your doors. With the striker out you can tell what you really have to work with and what needs correction. Good Luck:)

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skip,

I think I will go see a local body shop for an opinion. The gaps look even and the hardware is tight. I do not want to mess with it.

Thanks for the advice,
Rob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rob, Before you do that get eye level with the body line under the handle, pull the handle and watch to see if the door pops up or drops as it opens. If it does neither then simply make a line around your striker with a magic marker, this way at worse you can return it to its former position.Loosen the striker and carry straight in, try 1/8 inch to start with. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Ga mtn

I followed your advice on my S3 and it worked like a charm on the drivers side. That door is perfect now, still have some adjusting to do on passenger side. Thanks

Tom

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another success. Thanks Skip.
-Rob

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am a new S4 owner reviewing old posts--this one caught my eye, and was very helpful. Like Rob, my issue was one where both striker plates had loosened over the years to the point where the doors would often bounce back, when shut. After initially chalking this up to an Alfa "quirk", on closer inspection I realized that I could move the striker plate with my hand--both allen head bolts had loosened over the decades. A five minute adjustment with my allen wrench put both doors back good as new--they now shut with only a slight effort, and sound much more "solid" than when I first got the car. I was also careful to limit the movement of the striker to the horizontal.

Based upon my prior experience with other convertibles and targa-like top cars, I suspect that the pressure of the windows on the outside of the convertible top (if not properly adjusted) may contribute to this situation. I haven't yet explored the procedure for adjusting the power window height stop. In any event, it was an easy repair, that really made a difference. I post for new owners like myself, and others, who may just want to check the status of the the strike plates--it can't hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts