Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my front bumper rubber 'bucktooth' (there must be a better name for it, cardisc labels it a 'shield') is slightly discolored with bondo dust, compound slurry. etc . . . It seems to be absorbed in the pores of the rubber.

Maguire's 'Back to Black' helps some, but not enough. Varieties of sharpies and marking pens, same thing. 30 years ago I had a vinyl-top dressing almost like shoe polish, but that product doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any suggestions?

The attached photo isn't from my car, but shows the bucktooth.

Thanks!

David O'D
Laguna CA

Bucktooth.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hello, my front bumper rubber 'bucktooth' (there must be a better name for it, cardisc labels it a 'shield') is slightly discolored with bondo dust, compound slurry. etc . . . It seems to be absorbed in the pores of the rubber.

Maguire's 'Back to Black' helps some, but not enough. Varieties of sharpies and marking pens, same thing. 30 years ago I had a vinyl-top dressing almost like shoe polish, but that product doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Any suggestions?

The attached photo isn't from my car, but shows the bucktooth.

Thanks!

David O'D
Laguna CA

View attachment 1618154
David,

I've used Bondo Restore Black for this application, but it looks like that product has been discontinued. Has anyone painted it with flexible bumper paint?

·
Registered
557 Posts

I do not know how it works but it made all of my rubber and plastic parts look brand new on my 84 spider, 2002 F150 and my wife’s 2013 Prius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used just about everything on the market for restoring this sort of rubber over the years. With varying degrees of succes. What has helped, irrespective of what product, is to clean the rubber first. As you say, it seems the dirt, grit whatever really gets stuck in the pores.

You need to be a bit careful what you use, obviously. I am using just regular ammonia (as I do for window cleaning too). Give it several going over and leave it to dry out completely before applying whatever product.

Good luck,
Jeroen

·
Registered
259 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts