Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All , anyone familiar with the type of paint and clear coat used back in the 80’s for Spiders? I liked to do some paint correcting using a orbital polisher and compound. Is the clear code thinner than todays cars ? Paint looks great in the shade but nasty spider webs / swirls in the sun. Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Graduate
117 Posts
I have been using Meguiars Professional Detailer Paint Correction Products for D/A polisher and microfiber polishing pads. The extra deep cut pad does a great job on bad scratches and swirls, the regular cutting pad work nicely on light swirls and minor scratches. The polish in the system with a finishing disc really brings out the shine and gets rid of any cloudiness left by the more aggressive pads. There is also a finishing wax in the system This system works equally well on clear coat and single stage paint jobs. The cut is a bit more aggressive with single stage as it is softer than clear coat. With a D/A polisher and these compounds and pads it is virtually impossible to burn the paint or go through the top coats. This video explains the system:

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Hi All , anyone familiar with the type of paint and clear coat used back in the 80’s for Spiders? I liked to do some paint correcting using a orbital polisher and compound. Is the clear code thinner than todays cars ? Paint looks great in the shade but nasty spider webs / swirls in the sun. Thanks in advance for sharing.
Not sure but none of the S3 spiders I have repaired had a basecoat/clearcoat paint job. All single stage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts