Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the Alfa restoration process. I can handle cosmetic upgrades but hav'nt a clue about mecahicals and body matters.

My 75 Spider is original in that I don't think anything has been changed since manufacture. Can anyone suggest what enhancements can be made to upgrade things like handling, suspension, brakes and possibly ignition. Are there certain bushes and steering items that can or should be reviewed

People talk about "clunking" noises from the rear diff. Does this require attention when this occurs.

It can be extremely difficult to start and since my wife will be a regular driver she won't tolerate cold starting problems. Are the elctronic ignition add on's effective, and if so are any brands better than others.

Spark plugs & leads - are there specific brands that will create more efficient motoring ?.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I would replace all the rubber parts starting with the one on the driveline. if that breaks it can do a lot of damage and even cause a crash.
I would also do all the ball joints but that will cost but it will make it feal like a new car.
also do not forget the mounts for the motor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks guys. With the electronic ignition, are there different types or brands and is it a simple process to install or does it require some mechanical expertise.

With the drive train rubbers which items in particular do you recommend be changed.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
if it is a 75 and none has been changed they all will need it.
some parts go faster then other depending on how you drive.
the part on top of the diff seemed to only last a year for me.
when I did my 72 like 10 years ago all part were real bad back then and I just replaced them all and replaced every ball too. there where some parts where the rubber was just gone. some parts you can tell by looking. but I would start with the front. after I did my front I had zero slop in the stering before it had 1/2 a turn. my wheel is still nice and tight. The balls can last if they are greased but if left alone they will die.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have just fitted an magnetic type ignition system by Jolley Electronics in the UK which fits entirely within the distributer cap and is first class and relatively inexpensive. A good move. Other have said replace all the rubber bushes and ball joints and I would totally agree. Makes the car feel like a new one. Careful on tyre sizes though, too wide does make the steering very heavy and not too much fun to drive and park in town.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stuart, that's great advice. Who supplies the ignition kit?. I currently have Michelin tyres, I think 185 x 60 x 14. I believe these were the original spec tyres. Is this a good size.

Just off the mechanicals, my car does not have the rubber mats since they were lost by the previous owner. So I was considering carpet. Should I place some sort of sound barrier material prior to carpeting & if so whats best to use.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Freddie, Jolly Engineering www.classicheads.com will do the trick. Original factory sized tyres were 165 x 14 with the classic 80 profile. To get something near the same rolling radius you will have to look at a 185/70 x 14 or others have suggested a 195/65 x 14. There are comparitor charts on the web whixh will allow you to compare the rolling radii of the various sizes and various makes.
The wider you go by and large the heavier the steering. The original size tyres are just wonderful as grip fails well before disaster and a back-end slide is highly enjoyable and controlable. Narrower tryres are less directionally sensitive. As for rubber mats Classic Alfa stocks them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts