Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a series 2 Spider with covered headlamps and one without? Is this a "European/North American thing? Or does it have to do with Spider/Spider junior? If you have a Spider without the covered lamps, can it easily be converted to covered?

Thanks Guys! Apologies if this is an oft-asked question....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Shortly, the bucket should be mounted from behind the flange, from the wheel arch (there are round service covers on the dust shields). On Series 2, there still should be studs on the fender flanges facing backwards. Yet I'm not sure you can go on with the same headlight buckets. Have to check...
Of course, you have to drill the holes for the front clips and put the thin chrome trim around the hole. They are still sold as kits with the hardware, I believe.

P.S. There is a possible way to go with keeping the headlights on their place; Carello produced smaller chrome rings to fit just under the covers, but they are extremely rare now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm pretty sure the problem was not in the covers, but rather in the sealed beam headlights used in US & Canada: you had to remove the whole setup first, then get the lamp, which is way more difficult to do from behind. With European H4 lights, you don't have to remove the whole thing - just replace the bulb from behind the wheel.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
For US cars they were never original and as far as I know they were never original for European cars other than possibly the very early Duettos.

They can be fitted however if that's your cup of tea. Personally I never liked the looks of them, they just don't look well integrated like a Jaguar XKE or Ferrari 250 and if you search you'll find that they're also somewhat troublesome.

I've always considered the Alfa Spider nose to be very closely related to the Ferrari 246 Dino which was also designed by Pininfarina in the same era. It never had covers either, the headlights were open scallops and my opinion is that that is the way it was supposed to be.

But it's up to you, it's your car. Follow the crowd if you like, may as well paint it red and put Euro side markers on it too :whistling:

·
Registered
134 Posts
For US cars they were never original and as far as I know they were never original for European cars other than possibly the very early Duettos.
I don´t know about the U.S., but over here in Europe, the season 2 spiders with the 2 litre engines (105.24 / 105.27 / 115.38) always had the headlight covers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I really like the Carello headlight covers and did the conversion this past summer using the kit sold at Centreline.

Car goes much faster now :whistling:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Very helpful! I'm still in the process of purchasing a car - and this is one of those little niggling details I wanted to suss out...

Thanks! Cheers - Bruce

·
Registered
846 Posts
S1 & S2 spiders were designed to have head light covers, exept for the S2 spider junior, which didn't have them as it was the poverty model and also had a metal dash similar and or the same as the duetto, for the American market not sure if it includes Canada, alfa romeo had to comply with the stupid head light and side marker laws so they had different headlights and no covers which in my opinion ruined the look of the car. Oh and the stupid bumper laws too.

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
S1 & S2 spiders were designed to have head light covers, exept for the S2 spider junior, which didn't have them as it was the poverty model and also had a metal dash similar and or the same as the duetto, for the American market not sure if it includes Canada, alfa romeo had to comply with the stupid head light and side marker laws so they had different headlights and no covers which in my opinion ruined the look of the car. Oh and the stupid bumper laws too.
I agree. The European market cars were as Pininfarina intended them to look. The US models were defaced on the instructions of government bureaucrats. Fortunately it is not hard to make them look the way that the designer intended.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a beauty, Ed - funny what a big impact something as small as the sidemarkers can have....

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I just wanted it to look the way that Pininfarina intended.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts

They can be fitted however if that's your cup of tea. Personally I never liked the looks of them, they just don't look well integrated like a Jaguar XKE or Ferrari 250 and if you search you'll find that they're also somewhat troublesome.

I've always considered the Alfa Spider nose to be very closely related to the Ferrari 246 Dino which was also designed by Pininfarina in the same era. It never had covers either, the headlights were open scallops and my opinion is that that is the way it was supposed to be.

But it's up to you, it's your car. Follow the crowd if you like, may as well paint it red and put Euro side markers on it too :whistling:
FWIW, I agree with you Paul. The bubble lens covers look kind of tacky to me too.

·
Registered
705 Posts

+1.

The bubbles are unnecessary and distract from the clean lines of the headlight scallop. They also obviate the wide chrome trim ring that extends the fender and surrounds the headlight, and which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful details on the entire car. The complex three dimensional geometry of the chrome trim, the fender, and the headlight scallop is a master class in design.

The bubble cover just puts a plexiglass cap over all of this genius.

Sorry Ed.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
They can be fitted however if that's your cup of tea. Personally I never liked the looks of them, they just don't look well integrated...
WUT? They are part of the original design, by Pininfarina his own self, the last car he actually designed. They are perfectly integrated. The US design was a band aid to meet silly US regulations at the time.

There are 246 Dinos with covers, an original design. I don't know the story of why most were not finished that way. It looks pretty good without if you've never seen one, and we just got used to it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
+1.

The bubbles are unnecessary and distract from the clean lines of the headlight scallop. They also obviate the wide chrome trim ring that extends the fender and surrounds the headlight, and which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful details on the entire car. The complex three dimensional geometry of the chrome trim, the fender, and the headlight scallop is a master class in design.

The bubble cover just puts a plexiglass cap over all of this genius.

Sorry Ed.
Wow, you guys… Battista would be shaking his head...

The bubbles are the final piece of the composition to complete the headlight scallop.

The scallop doesn't have clean lines bare - it sticks up into the wind with a sharp edge.

The chrome ring was to cover up the US-required sealed beam bracket. The headlight is "inside" the lamp assembly, of which the cover is a critical piece.

Without the plex cover, it's like a beautiful watch without the glass installed. It's just not finished.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts