Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, out here in Oregon, it's tough to drive year around. My other car is a 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, perfect to haul Alfa parts/tubs/Etc when necessary at about 1/3 the gas mileage.

I bought a series 2 hard top from a gent in Chicago. The vinyl was/is old and cracked and the driver's side chrome was missing. The rubbers were a 6 out of 10, not because the previous owner left it out side or anything, but they had become brittle over time. Also, the P.O. had installed a janky latch system to work with the stock "J-bolts" which looks like a gate latch off a back yard gate. Maybe more of a wooden trailer gate if you can picture that.

So that was the hardtop I bought. The glass is perfect, and frankly, most of the rubbers are perfectly fine too. (6.5 out of ten, my revision)

If you haven't met me, I tend to question most things and can't leave good enough alone.

For starters, I hate the vinyl on the roof. Seems lazy. Why didn't they make them paint grade then allow the owners to match their car?

shOrtlife found a neat pic of a painted series 2 hardtop that happens to be the same color as I'm doing to my 1974, (AR501 red) so I have been inspired to do the same.

[note alfa emblem on hardtop, will discuss later]

After trying to find the replacement steel trim, I came across a free hartop in the Portland area under the Free section in the classifieds.

I'm not a hoarder. But, when I went to get the glass removed from the Chicago one, two different glass places turned me down when I told them the glass was not available as a replacement.

With the free one, the vinyl had already been peeled off, the glass was out of the top already and it had the stainless steel trim piece I needed. There was an Alfa emblem on the driver's side, just like the red top pictured above. Was that a dealer thing or did they come like that. Seems odd that 2 unrelated hardtops would have the same emblem, about the size of a wheel insert.

end of part one

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2:
Not only do I want to remove the vinyl top, prep it and paint it, but there are a couple of other modern things I'd like to add:
1) install rear defrost. With a small cabin, breath or just moist Oregon air is enough to cause the rear window to fog up. With the front windshield, we have our anemic air ducts that eventually dry out the foreword view. With electronic rear defrost, I can see who is about to rear end me as well.

2) Rear light. Not one of those 3rd brake lights, but a switched on/off interior light like the series 3/4 factory hard tops have. Maybe even have it switched in so when the door is opened, the light will come on. Wow, did I just invent that? Anything is possible.

3) previously I mentioned the problem with humidity inside the cabin. Once I owned a Jeep Scrambler with a hardtop all the way back. Moisture would collect on the ceiling of the car and the mere closing the door would send a cascade of water on my head, down my back, on important papers, Etc. I solved this by adding an upholstered liner. Of course this was more like felt carpet heated up to take the shape and glue gunned in. For years it did the job. I miss that rig.

Anyway, I would like to add a headliner. Probably make it float like the 1974 GTV. This will cut down on noise, cold and stop the dreaded bare naked fiberglass headliner drip.

Suggestions on material would be happily listened to.

Oh, since I now have two to play with, if someone has the same sort of dream that I have and want one similarly decked out, PM me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Part 2:
Not only do I want to remove the vinyl top, prep it and paint it, but there are a couple of other modern things I'd like to add:
1) install rear defrost. With a small cabin, breath or just moist Oregon air is enough to cause the rear window to fog up. With the front windshield, we have our anemic air ducts that eventually dry out the foreword view. With electronic rear defrost, I can see who is about to rear end me as well.

2) Rear light. Not one of those 3rd brake lights, but a switched on/off interior light like the series 3/4 factory hard tops have. Maybe even have it switched in so when the door is opened, the light will come on. Wow, did I just invent that? Anything is possible.

3) previously I mentioned the problem with humidity inside the cabin. Once I owned a Jeep Scrambler with a hardtop all the way back. Moisture would collect on the ceiling of the car and the mere closing the door would send a cascade of water on my head, down my back, on important papers, Etc. I solved this by adding an upholstered liner. Of course this was more like felt carpet heated up to take the shape and glue gunned in. For years it did the job. I miss that rig.

Anyway, I would like to add a headliner. Probably make it float like the 1974 GTV. This will cut down on noise, cold and stop the dreaded bare naked fiberglass headliner drip.

Suggestions on material would be happily listened to.

Oh, since I now have two to play with, if someone has the same sort of dream that I have and want one similarly decked out, PM me.
Me, me, me! I'd like to accomplish the same things, though down here in California, the cold, and therefore the liner, is not as important. Way back when I had a Sunbeam Alpine Spider (gateway drug) which had a removable hard top. The top was ugly, but functional, keeping self and date (this was high school) warm and dry during winter months. And, with the 8 track tape and the one cartridge I could afford...Van Morrison and Otis Redding, live at the Monterey Jazz Festival, everybody was happy, even when the "engine overheated"...and the car needed to "rest for a while"...oh, I digress! Sorry, yeah, I'd like to get a hardtop for my '74 Spider, and would be game for figuring out how to do this "first class"...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yours is a lot nicer than mine. Mine doesn't even have the glass. I was going to have one made out of plexi. Do you have a spare back window and gasket? I'm also missing the drivers side chrome trim. Maybe restoring mine is a fool's errand.

As for the vinyl covering, you get to worry less about it being scratched while taking off the top and storing it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do have the spare window and gasket, but in reality, I have a complete spare top.

PS, I agree with the vinyl being less scratch prone. But its really ugly, and both have been scraped off.

A curious thing, the one from Chicago is black underneath, the one from here (PDX) is clear fiberglass, including the headliner

Let me experiment on hiding wires in between the layers, and safely getting the glass back in before I think about selling the glass.

Just outta curiosity, what would be a fair price for this curved glass plus gasket?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, even though I spent months searching for the right SS channel, maybe someone here might chime in and have the answer

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
adding or replacing headliner link

Hi Rob,

Here's an interesting web page that documents the replacement of a headliner:

Headliner Replacement

It might provide a bit of guidance if you plan on adding a headliner to the bare plastic interior side of your hardtop.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Rob,
I would be interested in how you do this. I picked up a pretty decent S2 Hardtop and an S3 hardtop without a rear window. I plan on installing the S2 top next summer. Would like to see how you handle your top install.

Thanks Rob

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts