Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to clean away several decades of dirt and debris from the seat tracks. They all move relatively easy, but I can tell there is grit in the tracks. Currently soaking in some degreaser. Is there a way to seperate the highlighted pieces in my attachment or would that be a mistake? It does appear that the 105/115 Spider seat tracks are different from other models, so scouring the forums was not much help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian. I feel better knowing that I was not missing the obvious way to disassemble.

·
Out of the office!
11,667 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can separate the tracks by bending the retaining lug (one that stops it sliding all the way off) out of the way, there should be a ball bearing then plastic spacer rod and another ball bearing, my spacer rods (S2) were missing so I replaced them with some chrome steel rod and increased the number of BB's to make it smoother running, just make sure you bend the lug back when you refit

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can separate the tracks by bending the retaining lug (one that stops it sliding all the way off) out of the way, there should be a ball bearing then plastic spacer rod and another ball bearing, my spacer rods (S2) were missing so I replaced them with some chrome steel rod and increased the number of BB's to make it smoother running, just make sure you bend the lug back when you refit
When I slide the track all the way forward, I can see the ball bearings run into the bent channel. Is that the retaining lug in your message?
For what appears to be rear travel stop are two welded tabs. The track is so dirty I can't make these stops meet with everything disassembled. Any idea if these stops are factory design? These tabs prevent disassembly in that direction.

Are the spacer rods intended to separate the ball bearings?
Right side seat rail back end rear travel  stop.JPG Right Side Seat Rail back front travel stop.JPG

·
Registered
338 Posts
On your second picture the bottom track has two lugs which need bending straight to allow the seat track to slide all the way out, it'll only slide out one way, yes the rod separate the ball bearings, one or two at each end of the rod, i made my rods shorter and added more ball bearings to make it slide better but the original works fine - UPDATE Sorry I've just spotted the retaining strap on your first pic, mine (S2) doesn't have that, you'll need to cut that off to separate the tracks

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently the S1 and S2 seat rails or tracks are quite different. As BMX stated the bent channels that trap the ball bearings must be straightened to get the balls out. See second picture in post 6. This was pretty easy to do with a pair of channel lock pliers. For the outboard rails, you can do either end first, then slide it out the other end. For the inboard tracks there is a welded stop the limits rear direction travel. I initially thought this was a PO modification based neatness of the weld. Then I looked more closely at the seat drawing attached to my original post and see the tabs. See first picture in post 6. There is also a mid-point detent in the channels to limit ball bearing travel.

So major difference in S1 vs S2 appears to be the function of the ball bearings. In S1 their only function is lateral alignment between the inner and outer channels in second picture of post 6. What I got out of BMX post on S2 is that the ball bearings also carry the vertical load of the seat and a person sitting in the seat. He added some additional bearings for smoother operation.

In S1 there are 2 rollers in each track as seen in the picture attached to this post. These rollers carry the vertical load. There are detents in the channels to limit roller travel too.

The outboard rails appear to be galvanized while the inboard are only painted. I think the outboard were painted, but a couple of days in my degreaser removed that paint. The rollers also appear to be chrome plated which of course is not in particular good condition. Even though I know grease will only help everything hold dirt, I plan on applying some during reassembly.

Now for the embarrassing part. I have lost one of the eight rollers and two ball bearings. The bearings are 6.3 mm dia. which is apparently common. Found on Amazon for bicycles. I have been looking everywhere I walked with the seat track that was missing the rear roller. This was the track I think I bent the channels first. No luck so far. What is amazing is that I had to work the bearings out with a thin screwdriver on every other track. Why this one fell out on its own and I did not hear the roller hit the table or floor is beyond me.

The roller is 13.45 mm dia. (which I find to be a really odd number) by 12.3 mm long. The round stock I have found on the internet to maybe make a roller from is all even numbers. Make it 14 mm and the ball bearings may not fit in the track. 13 mm might result in the tracks interfering. May have to try both sizes if I can’t find the missing one.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts