Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking information about “Serial Number Plates” between August 1958 and June 1959. Specifically does the plate have a silk screened slot for vehicle weight or not.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes, the blank space for the weight it is on the plate.
The car is a '58 Giulietta Sprint Normale First Series manufactured 2-20-58
Ser #1493-06347

Hope this helps, Enrique

I also need help, I have not been able to start a thread or send a message.
I read a post on the area that discuss problems of these nature where they refer to a Blue Button located at the top and bottom of the appropiate page. But I do not see that Blue Button. If you have a moment, can you or some member of this site, send me some instructions.

Thanks, Enrique

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes, the blank space for the weight it is on the plate.
The car is a '58 Giulietta Sprint Normale First Series manufactured 2-20-58
Ser #1493-06347

Hope this helps, Enrique

I also need help, I have not been able to start a thread or send a message.
I read a post on the area that discuss problems of these nature where they refer to a Blue Button located at the top and bottom of the appropiate page. But I do not see that Blue Button. If you have a moment, can you or some member of this site, send me some instructions.

Thanks, Enrique
Enrique,
“Instructions”. Firstly, your car is not within the build date parameters of what Carl is looking for. Secondly, if you click on the three dots on the right side, at the top header of the AlfaBB page, a dropdown of options will appear that will allow you to chose your forum listing of interest. Click on this one for instance; a “start a discussion” red bar should appear to now post.

If you click on your avatar image next to those three dots, more options will drop down for you. You should be good from there to send a personal message to someone under “conversations”. That’s now called “start a conversation” just to be forum trendy. Takes a while to navigate from the old format, but you’ll get it. The three dots at the top of each of your posts can be clicked to find your edit option too. Perhaps an unpaid but well-appreciated moderator will chime in here to clarify if there are easier methods.

Like your car, it’s sometimes an often puzzling puzzle!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, helps narrow it down to August 06, 1958 and February 28 1959

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Using these assumptions:

• Alfa controlled serial numbers; not Bertone or Pinifarina
  • Alfa pressed the firewall sheet metal, stamped the serial #, and delivered them as part of the chassis sent to Bertone and Pinifarina for fabrication of the rest of the body.
  • Alfa used the same metal plates for Berlina, Sprint, and Spider
Conclusion

• After Alfa (of Italian government) decided to eliminate weight on the plates, the change was made close to or maybe exactly on the same date for Berlina, Sprint, and Spider
  • The same thing happened after decision to replace full engine serial # with engine series.
  • Looking at data available to date:
  • Weight eliminated early 1959, prior to February 28, 1959
  • Full engine # eliminated between October 1959 and November 21, 1959

1 - 6 of 6 Posts