Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Greig:
I have a 59 Sprint, the info plates have the original screws on the lube and ID plates. The screws are a sheet sheet metal type 3mm X 10 mm. If you want cheese head screws try McMaster Carr.com #91460A115. Enrique

·
Registered
435 Posts
screws

Where do ya suppose these came from? You have any originals to share?
Lawrence, dont know where they came from , my 58 and most I have seen look like the ones in the photos. The 2 on the left are original,the 2 on the right appear a lot newer and the heads are slightly larger. they are 3mm and you can see the lenght, the newer ones ar 5.59 at the head, the originals are 5.36.

Mike V

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Greig:
I left the pic's out on my last message. I see now that there are not a standard screw on all these cars, perhaps they use whatever was available at the moment. I say this because the screws on my Sprint are somewhat different to all the ones shown on the others shown here. However I know my are the original. Any way my screws have a 6 mm dia. head. Enrique

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lawrence, dont know where they came from , my 58 and most I have seen look like the ones in the photos. The 2 on the left are original,the 2 on the right appear a lot newer and the heads are slightly larger. they are 3mm and you can see the lenght, the newer ones ar 5.59 at the head, the originals are 5.36.

Mike V
We don't either, just know that's what came with the car when purchased several owners ago.
Anyone have anything similar?

Cheers,
Lawrence

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Hi Enrique

The change in head sizes of the Data Plate screws seems to coincide with the move by Bertone from his cramped little shop to his new works at Cruglasco, circa March to June 1958.

Peter Yaxley & I have had a chat off line and we agree that it's logical that the data plates would have been fitted at Portello when the motor was fitted to the Body

Working off your Bertone Number gives me your chassis number as 1493*06346 (can't read the data plate in the picture), this puts your car at about March / April 1958 - a big headlight Series I Sprint - one of the last to be made at the old Works which we guess shut up shop after the last Series I car - Lionel's 1493E*06611.

Logic says that ALFA ordered those cheese head sheet metal screws in batches and Luigi's cousin Giovanni supplied ones with a slightly larger head, the ones on two of my '57's and my '58 Sprint Veloce Confortevole (E06193) match yours, but the ones on Dad's 11 January '60 have the bigger size head.

The change seems to have been around mid '58 to mid '59-ish

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi Enrique

The change in head sizes of the Data Plate screws seems to coincide with the move by Bertone from his cramped little shop to his new works at Cruglasco, circa March to June 1958.

Peter Yaxley & I have had a chat off line and we agree that it's logical that the data plates would have been fitted at Portello when the motor was fitted to the Body

Working off your Bertone Number gives me your chassis number as 1493*06346 (can't read the data plate in the picture), this puts your car at about March / April 1958 - a big headlight Series I Sprint - one of the last to be made at the old Works which we guess shut up shop after the last Series I car - Lionel's 1493E*06611.

Logic says that ALFA ordered those cheese head sheet metal screws in batches and Luigi's cousin Giovanni supplied ones with a slightly larger head, the ones on two of my '57's and my '58 Sprint Veloce Confortevole (E06193) match yours, but the ones on Dad's 11 January '60 have the bigger size head.

The change seems to have been around mid '58 to mid '59-ish

Ciao
Greig
Greig, just to throw another log on the barnfire, the llube plate had all the larger screws while the id plate had the smaller ones .

Mike V

·
Registered
161 Posts
Greig:
You are so close I cannot believe it. My serial number is 1493-06347. The screws in question also have a finer (sheet metal) threads than those shown on the other messages. Enrique.

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
It's actually quite easy, we know that there were 600 Lightweight made - so these numbers are missing from the Sprint Bertone build sequence add a few prototypes - allow for some experimental test mules along the way and depending on where you are in the build sequence you can generally extrapolate from known cars, in your case I wasn't sure if the difference was 611 or 612 cars, on my '57's it's 611

Now y'all know why a handful of us are so insistent on trying to record every Chassis number together with its Bertone Body Number & the Motor numbers - allows us to see the rough-ish sequence.....it's all in the numbers !!!

The Bertone numbers are starting to make sense and we've been able to separate the Lightweights and the Normale's & we can take pretty educated guesses as to what happened & when.

Keeping records helps all of us in our restorations...

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
Another thing, we keep forgetting that both Alfa & Bertone were building to a budget, if a supplier offered an alternative pack of screws at a few Lira less, do you really think that the buyers would have stopped to think......."Hmm I wonder what restorers will think of this in 50 years time ??"

Suppliers changed, tooling wore out, alternate materials / parts were made available at lower costs....and so forth - it all helps to keep us on our toes & as we know with Alfa's, particularly Sprints, the only constant was change !!

Aye
G

·
Registered
161 Posts
Greig:
Thank you for the lesson. I would like to add a few other numbers for my Sprint, it might come handy in the future. Ser.#1493-06347 Eng.#1315-05814 Bertone #655735. Painted to Alfa red #501 at the moment. Engine (never rebuilt) with 77k original miles and original gearbox. If you think that other information is needed let my know, Enrique.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts