Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: just purchased an 88 spider veloce, but some part that looks like a sensor fell on and was hitting the fan. the part is a gold metal cylinder with a white plastic top, 3 wires come from it. it sticks out of a silver metal housing that is attached to the front of the valve cover, right behind the radiator.

the car runs fine, but what this part for, and how does it stay in?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Stardust,

Congrats for your purchase and welcome to the board.

The sensor your are describing is probably the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Connector. You see on the picture the screw that holds it.

Variable Valve Timing Connector.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, the plastic part is scewed on, but the metal part it is on fell out of the housing. it seems to be held in with a rubber piece that has deteriorated.

as a temp fix? i coated the part that fits inside the housing with electrical tape, then pushed the unit in so it just touches the pin (viewing threw the sight hole in the housing). I found if the unit is pushed all the way in the car idles rough when cold.
i then used a tie lock to prevent it from pushing out and falling against my fan blade again.

any other suggestions as to fixing this part?

BTW this is my favorite car that i ever owned, and is in gorgeous condition. I'm getting ready for a long distance tour in it from Los Angeles to Seattle.
Any tips in pre maintance will be well appriciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts