Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Taday the front part of the bus arrived to the National Transport Museum in Malmköping Sweden, soon to be joined by the rear part. They have been separated since circa 1968.

Re the number plates above, the A 2006 number plate is a temporary/interim number plate of the type commonly used in Sweden at that time, that bus was later registered A 74054, our bus is A 74055.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Great news, thanks for the update!

·
Registered
34 Posts
What a finish for the past year! Happy new year 2014 and thanks in advance for letting us participate in this adventure.
Martin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
As i turned out that the man who bought the bus back in 1968 was still alive we spoked with him and he told us we could come and pick up some of the seats and the doors for the rear part of the bus if we where interested! Ofcourse we was!

He had kept the doors and seats in a shed all those years because "they could be good to have some day"!!

He also had a spare wheel and when we where abuot to leave he handed over the front enblem which he had kept in his office all those years!

What a hero!

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just came across this thread - what a super-cool story. :)

I hope the restoration has started and is going well. Are you also going to be restoring the motor(s?) and the drive-train back to operational condition? That would be neat.

Keep us up-to-date with pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
The plan is to raise funds to have the bus restored externally within a few years and to have it restored to driveable condition sometime in the distant future! The important thing is that the bus is saved for the future! :)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,020 Posts
All we now need in this story to evoke adult tears is Lassie. Great find and thanks for sharing. Such a piece of history, both for Sweden and for Alfa. That front emblem is reminiscent of pre-war Alfas in solid brass I presume?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The front emblem is pressed metal and have been gooldplated with red painted details.

The front and rear end will be reunited next month they were separated in 1970....

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
The plan is to raise funds to have the bus restored externally within a few years and to have it restored to driveable condition sometime in the distant future! The important thing is that the bus is saved for the future! :)
Make sure you let us know where we can make donations.

I would suggest you raise funds incrementally: "Now we're trying to raise the amount of xxx to get this or that part of the project done" rather than trying to raise the full amount up front. Then, ask again for more when you're ready to tackle another part of the project.

·
Premium Member
15,437 Posts
Too bad Alfa/Fiat can't be convinced to contribute a little to the project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The plan for the next few years is to restore the outside of the bus and place it on a period open railway car. The bus and railway car together will then be included in the heritage freight train owned by the national Swedish Railway museum. They already own the railway car, the cost to have the railway car rebuilt is around 40.000€ and the cost to have the bus rebuilt externally to a decent standard is another 40.000€. The heritage train is parked safe and secure inside a loco shed.

Once the bus is safe this month the work to plan for it's future will start!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Rear part on it's way!

Fresh pic of the beautiful rear part of the filosnodato on it's way to it's new home in a garage in Katrineholm! I see a bright future and the front and rear end will soon be together again!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
rear part on it's way

Fresh pic of the beautiful rear part of the filosnodato on it's way to it's new home in a garage in Katrineholm! I see a bright future and the front and rear end will soon be together again!
I especially love the "exhaust" at the rear of the roof! Looks so cosy.
From my experience with Alfa or Fiat buses, don't be too disappointed when you start taking of the panels. Rust protection was not the goal at that period of time. Stay strong. Martin

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
The exterior colors look as if the front and back were never separated.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Came across some information on the Alfa Romeo trolley buses that were sold to Prague after the war. Chassis on those was built by Alfa Romeo, but bodies were in aluminum by Savoya Marchetti, possibly with corrugated roofs. Electrical drive was by Ansaldo, Genoa.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm bumping this thread up because I'm hoping to see any update pictures since 2014!

41 - 60 of 67 Posts