Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
" I don't support any kind of censorship, just accountability. "
So how would you hold members accountable who ruin others 'for sale' posts ?
I can't. I'm not a moderator. If I had the time to go through all the posts and police this place, I'd make nothing but enemies. So I guess this will remain a place where some people will seriously irritate others, and that's just the way it will be, sadly. If we were all in the same room having this conversation, it would be completely different. People wouldn't be able to hide behind their computers and insult and degrade others. But then, I think there are some on here that uses that as the only exercise they get. Oh well. If the moderators think there is any use of my original request, hopefully they will give it a chance.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Hope that you didn't take any of my comments badly....
To me, it's Ok to question and poke fun.
And when I find a post going badly, I just unsubscribe.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hope that you didn't take any of my comments badly....
To me, it's Ok to question and poke fun.
And when I find a post going badly, I just unsubscribe.
I'm no different than you, sir.
Questioning is encouraged.
Attacking without merit is bad form.
Stirring the turd just raises a stink and bums everyone downwind.
I hope you'll continue to question and poke fun. :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree

Also, the barring of any new members posting anything for sale until they have a minimum of posts in the non-sales forums? It would get rid of spam completely and make it difficult for people who would just exploit the site to sell stuff, who contribute nothing to the community. Many sites have a minimum of 5 or so general/technical postings required before allowing sales posts.
Hello Anthony,

I agree. The idea that this is a forum where you contribute and receive (information) appeals to me. As far as I am concerned, it is a luxury that people can become a member of this forum and have access to all the content without paying any money. Keeping this forum online costs money.

I think it is fair that people who want to sell something through this forum, somehow contribute to this forum as well.
This could be done through a minimum of 5 post in the general, technical or other chapters. Another possibility is contributing an amount of money before being able to post in the for sale chapters. I can understand that the practical side is less simple. I would find it fair if people return something to the forum for being able to sell cars and parts to a group of Alfa Romeo Aficionado's which exceeds the 36.000 mark at the moment(and I hope the 40.000 mark in due time!).

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm afraid that I don't understand the vitriol that's been expressed in this thread; AnthonyR's original post only offered some suggestions relating to the for sale forums. And whether or note I agreed with all of his suggestions, I at least thought they were reasonable, and were an opening to discuss possible improvement to the way parts/cars were offered for sale.

While I'm a relatively recent member in comparison to others, I have extensive experience with other enthusiast forums that deal with sales, particularly AstroMart which has very restrictive selling guidlines.

I generally agree with the suggestions of AnthonyR and BlueGTV, particularly in regards to requiring anyone wishing to sell to be a supporting member of the forum, and having set prices in the ads. In addition I would "suggest" that businesses which are selling be identified as such. The definition of what would constitutes a business is tough, but I think it would include individuals who buy and sell for the purpose of buying and selling, or manufacture, even on a part time basis. These "business" sellers would have a modest additional fee to post for sale ads. This would certainly help generate revenue for the site to offset costs. Business sellers are currently receiving a benefit from the site at no cost.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Plus 1!

I'm afraid that I don't understand the vitriol that's been expressed in this thread; AnthonyR's original post only offered some suggestions relating to the for sale forums. And whether or note I agreed with all of his suggestions, I at least thought they were reasonable, and were an opening to discuss possible improvement to the way parts/cars were offered for sale.

While I'm a relatively recent member in comparison to others, I have extensive experience with other enthusiast forums that deal with sales, particularly AstroMart which has very restrictive selling guidlines.

I generally agree with the suggestions of AnthonyR and BlueGTV, particularly in regards to requiring anyone wishing to sell to be a supporting member of the forum, and having set prices in the ads. In addition I would "suggest" that businesses which are selling be identified as such. The definition of what would constitutes a business is tough, but I think it would include individuals who buy and sell for the purpose of buying and selling, or manufacture, even on a part time basis. These "business" sellers would have a modest additional fee to post for sale ads. This would certainly help generate revenue for the site to offset costs. Business sellers are currently receiving a benefit from the site at no cost.

Best regards,
Hello Monsai52,

Plus 1.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well Aldo, I think you may have bought yourself a one-way ticket onto her dreaded ignore list. How she received an e-mail about this thread, and even decided to read it, with me being on this list is odd. I'm guessing granny ball-crusher in the hat is a good fit.

Anyway, I think finally some reason has taken over the majority of posts on the subject, and hopefully some things will change for the better on here. Regardless, This is still the best place to be- Kind of like that bar Cheers. There's lots of Norms, which I like, but unfortunately a few too many Cliff Clavins! ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
how about simply charging non-paid subscribers a fee to post a 'for sale' ad? it would generate revenue for the BB, and instantly weed out most of the non-serious sellers. anyone who is GENUINELY interested in selling their alfa will surely be willing to shell out a few bucks to put their ad in front of a concentration of 36,000+ alfisti...i mean, to have an alfa for sale and NOT list it here (assuming awareness of the BB) is kind of silly. certainly it's worth a nominal fee to someone who really wants to sell their car.

IMO, paid subscribers have demonstrated a more serious commitment to the site, are generally going to be more reliable, and should be able to post 'for sale' ads for free.

i also agree with a rule requiring a price...i find it highly annoying when someone lists a car for sale with no inkling of what they're looking to get for it.

if you REALLY want to value-fish, state a number you know is far too high. that way, the rest of us can instantly dismiss you as not serious and move on. a few people will undoubtedly chime in, tell you you're crazy, and give their opinion as to the real value...and perhaps you get really lucky and someone who just HAS to have the car meets your demand, as in the story above. everyone (mostly) wins.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
how about simply charging non-paid subscribers a fee to post a 'for sale' ad? it would generate revenue for the BB, and instantly weed out most of the non-serious sellers. anyone who is GENUINELY interested in selling their alfa will surely be willing to shell out a few bucks to put their ad in front of a concentration of 36,000+ alfisti...i mean, to have an alfa for sale and NOT list it here (assuming awareness of the BB) is kind of silly. certainly it's worth a nominal fee to someone who really wants to sell their car.

IMO, paid subscribers have demonstrated a more serious commitment to the site, are generally going to be more reliable, and should be able to post 'for sale' ads for free.
This is hilareous in that ads here are pretty much a non event. I've had no luck here for years, with or without a special monetary anointment. Check with some of the paper rags like the Portland Oregonian newspaper who can't sell an ad to save themselves, given the tiny group of left wing illiterate readership.

Its a depression, no matter what Pelosi tells you.

I'll stop while I'm not too behind. . .

:p

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is hilareous in that ads here are pretty much a non event. I've had no luck here for years, with or without a special monetary anointment. Check with some of the paper rags like the Portland Oregonian newspaper who can't sell an ad to save themselves, given the tiny group of left wing illiterate readership.

Its a depression, no matter what Pelosi tells you.

I'll stop while I'm not too behind. . .

:p
you're already way behind if you read what i wrote and it somehow sent you off into some right wing, conservative political frenzy. :confused:

newspapers can no longer sell classified ads because there's this new-fangled thing called craigslist that lets people post ads on the internet for free...it has little or nothing to do with the makeup of their readership. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that that bit of news hasn't made it out to your lonely, remote cabin in the woods as of yet.

also, you might consider learning to both spell and use proper grammar before questioning the literacy of others. ;)

back to the topic, then?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
...it has little or nothing to do with the makeup of their readership.
What readership? What buyers? Its like MSNBC here, so I guess my point went right over your head, but no harm, no foul.

Back to the topic indeed. How about some buying rules that include integrity. How about a media with rules for integrity. How about a Government that includes that as well. I suggest you not ask me to elaborate, as I'm trying to keep it light Bud.

Frankly, I've not seen anything in this thread to be taken seriously. Guess it looked more like a joke topic to me. Please excuse.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
if you read what i wrote ...it has little or nothing to do with the makeup of their readership. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt

also, you might consider learning to both spell and use proper grammar before questioning the literacy of others. ;)
Yup, I did have one spelling error. Since you brought it up, I will share an interesting story on the subject of Capitalization:

Those of us who fall into the world of hi-tech should take note of the importance of correct grammar. I have noticed that many who text messages & email have forgotten the "art" of capitalization. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I still think that the ability of customers to read has a direct relationship to newspaper sales, but I suppose LA folks get that. Also, Uncle Jack, Uncle Sam, all the same family.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Another suggestion that I'll put forward:require sellers to identify their location either in their data block in the upper right corner, or in the ad itself.

I find it frustrating to peruse the ads, see something I might be interested in and not know whether or not shipping will be an issue.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
you're already way behind if you read what i wrote and it somehow sent you off into some right wing, conservative political frenzy. :confused:

newspapers can no longer sell classified ads because there's this new-fangled thing called craigslist that lets people post ads on the internet for free...it has little or nothing to do with the makeup of their readership. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that that bit of news hasn't made it out to your lonely, remote cabin in the woods as of yet.

back to the topic, then?
For informational purposes only.
I own apartments and advertize on CL and the local small rags. 80% of my worthwhile leads to leases come from the print papers. I get twice as much traffic from CL, most of it unfortunately from people who do not qualify.
Draw your own conclusions.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Could we consider banning the practice of posting ads in the for sale forums for anyone "considering selling", or "possibly selling" anything? It's insulting and a waste of everyone's time.
I'm a bit late to this discussion and so in the interest of brevity (and in the interest of oh-so delicate sensibilities) I'll refrain from my usual vituperations.

I have only two brief comments:

1) This suggestion is one of the silliest ideas I have ever encountered on the bb.

2) Wherever and whenever they appear, the blandishments of self-appointed gatekeepers should always be understood as being self-serving and unhelpful.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts