Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could we consider banning the practice of posting ads in the for sale forums for anyone "considering selling", or "possibly selling" anything? It's insulting and a waste of everyone's time.
Also, the barring of any new members posting anything for sale until they have a minimum of posts in the non-sales forums? It would get rid of spam completely and make it difficult for people who would just exploit the site to sell stuff, who contribute nothing to the community. Many sites have a minimum of 5 or so general/technical postings required before allowing sales posts. Both of the above suggestions would relieve tension and help make this a community of positive, helpful, contributing members.
If enough people support this, and get them to become forum policies, I think it would make for a more positive experience for everyone...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, possibly at least the minimum paid membership level to post in the sales forums. That's a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Rules I think work and would improve this site's effectiveness...my $0.02.

"For Sale" postings must always include a set price (no "best offer," "highest bidder" or " I am thinking about selling..." and thereby fishing for an offer). For Sale notices or eBay outings may be only be posted one time. Items available "For Trade" must also include a set selling price, in case no trade is available.

Those selling items, cars or parts, etc., should provide detailed, accurate and truthful descriptions; and provide quality digital photographs on or off-list, off-list via a Web site or email. (Photos cannot be attached to, or embedded within CR postings. See #6 below). Once a buyer has agreed to your price, the seller is obligated to follow through. Determine your asking price carefully as you are bound to it. PayPal is encouraged as a payment tool to protect both parties.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Wait, I was thinking of posting something, but not sure. Is there a Federal agency I can ask if it is okay dokay? I mean, if the majority doesn't want to buy it, I may not want to sell it, but then I might if I can get enough votes here.

Sheesh. Maybe you can set up a board to approve everything like in Congress. PHUSTZ, and a pox on both parties.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait, I was thinking of posting something, but not sure. Is there a Federal agency I can ask if it is okay dokay? I mean, if the majority doesn't want to buy it, I may not want to sell it, but then I might if I can get enought votes here.

Sheesh. Maybe you can set up a board to approve everything like in Congress. PHUSTZ on both parties.
Exactly the non-constructive answer we were all looking forward to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
OK, if you want something constructive. Ban people from commenting on anything in the for sale section if they don't actually want to buy it.
Seems like most of the trouble makers just want to throw rocks at anyone selling here.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
The following was furnished to me via e-mail, attributed to "AntonyR." I can't verify that since he's on my ignore list.

"...help make this a community of positive, helpful, contributing members."

I actually find this description of Alfisti insulting. I happen to find the Alfa community one of the most supportive, inclusive, understanding, and friendly group of car folks around. Have you belonged to any other car clubs which are snooty and outright nasty? I have, and I'm not going to name them; but I'm sure others know exactly what I'm referring to. Pat and I had a lot of cross-over between clubs because of his research and writing.

To me there is no difference between posting what is my GTV worth and I'm considering selling my GTV. They are both indirectly "fishing" for what they might be able to get for their car without being obligated to sell it.

A good friend learned a lesson early on in Alfadom. He was showing someone his Alfa collection and the gentlemen asked what he'd take for the car he was interested in that was not for sale. The unintended seller tripled the price he would accept and to his surprise, the gentlemen pulled out his checkbook. This was sometime ago, like some 30 years ago, for an ordinary Alfa and the check was written for in excess of $50k.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, if you want something constructive. Ban people from commenting on anything in the for sale section if they don't actually want to buy it.
Seems like most of the trouble makers just want to throw rocks at anyone selling here.
It would be great, but then you're dealing with censorship, and that's not good either.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Exactly the non-constructive answer we were all looking forward to. :rolleyes:
How about only Platinum subscribers be allowed to post Antony! That way you can upgrade yours, and then have this forum only for you and a couple of other status seekers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The following was furnished to me via e-mail, attributed to "AntonyR." I can't verify that since he's on my ignore list.

"...help make this a community of positive, helpful, contributing members."

I actually find this description of Alfisti insulting.
The reason you are, and will remain on my ignore list. Please keep me on yours too.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
"If enough people support this, and get them to become forum policies, I think it would make for a more positive experience for everyone..."
Hmmmm...
I think that you are already off track with this one...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
" I don't support any kind of censorship, just accountability. "
So how would you hold members accountable who ruin others 'for sale' posts ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you see? It's already a shouting match. I just re-read my original post, and there's nothing in it that should bring these hostile responses. Do you sell something on ebay, and when they bill you for the seller fees, do you say "No thanks, I don't agree with them"? It's a matter of being responsible. All I was asking for was basic minimums to ensure a happy marketplace. Seriously, people.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
26 comments = setting rules? Interesting.

Just posting what I thought was a thought out comment. I guess I will just have to figure out how to add to my comments count so I can raise my numbers to something higher. Shoot, now how do you figure I can do that :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts