Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
no, cutting the tunnel is not required..i am useing the stock mustang shifter location. if you use the s10 tailhousing, no cutting.:):) i put on of mazda maita seats in the car as a test.. the shifhter comes to hand very nicely, no reach for 5 th gears.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
just a note vulcan.if you chose to go with the rear mount mustang shifter.. you must relocated the parking brake..i found that out last night..but i plan to use a audi parking brake handle and mount it ( the pivot point) between the drivers door and the seat. this way the handle will( the part you pull) will be just in front of the driver seat, nice and clean:):) now to find/make a cable that will work...i love a project....

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ok .:)..i love it.:D:D:D:D:D:D. the gearbox lever just ' snicks ':cool::cool::D into place.. no hunting for it.:). sold 1 kit so far...:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
can anyone help an european to understand?

Hallo everybody,
I've read with interest this thread, but I'm not sure to have understood the real advantage of this swap. Is it only a matter of cheap used parts availability?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
lets see..more modern gearbox...easyer to rebuild( if needed) cheaper parts..all the syncro's and bearings to rebuild the t5 gearbox.. you can get full kits here for 95.00$ no second gear crunch..on the t5 world class box..use atf4 transmission fluid..easyer to shift..i am here in the states.. the t5 box. is a hell of a lot cheaper than a re-built alfa romeo transmission..not putting the alfa romeo gearbox down,.. but even if you buy a rebuilt( i don't think there are any new gearboxs left) you will still get the classic 2 nd gear crunch sometime... the syncro's on the t5 box.. duel on 1-2-3 gears and those are carboned lined..overall just a better gearbox... just my point of view.. i have mine in my car now for a month or so.. the shifts are more direct.. just click it into gear....i have a 1 peice alumiun driveshaft in my car.. so the spin up weight it one hell of a lot less...i have had spider freinds drive it.. they noted the easy to shift.. but they all noted the smoothness of the drivetrain....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am interested in your conversion however I have a few questions about the changes it requires. When you say you spent a lot of time getting the driveline angle correct I assume that means you have actually angled the engine to give an approximately straight shot to the diff when the car is on the ground. Is that correct or does the engine still maintain a level pitch in the car as with the original transmission? I ask because I have created a custom turbo setup for my spider and I have hard lines for water to the turbo which are fairly large which run behind the head and if the engine were tilted much I would think they will hit the firewall.

Also I was wondering if you could post a shot of the completed drive shaft. I am curious about how that would be worked out with the significantly longer tail shaft.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Want pictures too!

Also I was wondering if you could post a shot of the completed drive shaft. I am curious about how that would be worked out with the significantly longer tail shaft.

Me too! I have a T5 sitting around and have the engine out of my car. I'm also working on a turbo set up for it. I have looked at the pictures you posted and I would most likely wind up using the Ford set-up like you did. So.... Pictures of your completed set up would be helpful in making my decision to go with your kit or install the Alfa trany for now.

David

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
hello, agian..if you saw the photos of the t5 in my car..don't fret.. i planed to use it this way..more rearward shifter location and a aluiumn driveshaft.. iif you use my kit with the right parts.. no one will know( but you..better shifting,, less driveline loss) but you.. cost of a rebuilt tranny form iap..$2400.00... my kit = your t5 1/2 that price.. even for a new t5.. nicely rebuilt one save more.

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
I am interested in your conversion however I have a few questions about the changes it requires. When you say you spent a lot of time getting the driveline angle correct I assume that means you have actually angled the engine to give an approximately straight shot to the diff when the car is on the ground. Is that correct or does the engine still maintain a level pitch in the car as with the original transmission? I ask because I have created a custom turbo setup for my spider and I have hard lines for water to the turbo which are fairly large which run behind the head and if the engine were tilted much I would think they will hit the firewall.
AGeorgi:

Universal joints can't work that way - that is, with no angle between the transmission tailshaft and the driveshaft, but with an angle between the driveshaft and differential pinion. In the stock Alfa (and every other RWD vehicle), the crankshaft-mainshaft needs to be parallel to the differential pinion shaft - they can be offset, but they must be parallel. If you change the angle of the engine & trans so that they point toward the differential, then you must also change the angle of the diff so that it points up toward the engine.

If the front U joint is working with no angle, but the rear U joint has an angle, significant vibration will occur.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
i have my t5 1 # down at the tranny and 2 # up at the diff. #= degree.. having drivin the car for a month now speeds up to 6500 rpm.. very smooth

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm looking at rebuilding my box at the meoment. All this T5 stuff is completely Foreign. What is "T5"? As far as I can tell Borg Warner make a "T5" as do Ford and GM. Is it some sort of standardised design?

How much is a Converison with a brand new T5 box?

Andy.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
andy. i based the kit on a ford mustang unit.. easyer to come by.. ford put a hell of a lot more manuel trannys in there cars as compared to gm..yes it is a borg wanner tranny , cost 375.00 inlud, shoipping to the lower 48...

41 - 60 of 97 Posts