Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! I've had my '84 spider for sale for a few months now. Listed it here and on Craigslist. Got a reply via a random txt from Craigslist. Poor grammar. Quickly agreed to my adjusted price. Said he has to pay via PayPal and will send a car mover after payment is made...sight unseen. It screams of a scam but from what I've experienced, PayPal is pretty fool proof. Anybody have any experiences with this?

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Smells to me.

I have had a few of those offers when selling vehicles.

Get a phone number from the buyer and see if they give you one.

I bet you get some story that they cant be reached.

I wouldnt count on this being the sale.

Sorry.

Vin

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds like a scam. Paypal can hold your money, (the payment) for something like 21 days so if the buyer then complains of no delivery and you can't trace the car, (all sorts of possible sham car transporting guys out there ....a guy with a trailer and fake paperwork for example) you could be out both money and car.
I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just a suspicious guy sometimes.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Again, I wouldn't sell to this person or any other without cash in the bank.

Either cash in hand or certified cheque, brought to the bank, cashed and then car released.

Selling our cars at the end of the season isn't easy.

Wishing you all the best of luck in the sale.

Vin

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
It's pretty simple - the car is for sale and the first person to put cash in your hand by whatever means is the new owner. So there's no holding it or taking it off the market awaiting payment for any reason. If your money gets here late and the car has already been sold to someone else you can have it back.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Please help! I've had my '84 spider for sale for a few months now. Listed it here and on Craigslist. Got a reply via a random txt from Craigslist. Poor grammar. Quickly agreed to my adjusted price. Said he has to pay via PayPal and will send a car mover after payment is made...sight unseen. It screams of a scam but from what I've experienced, PayPal is pretty fool proof. Anybody have any experiences with this?
Don't sweat it brother. One of the most common scams. Delete that email - don't give the scammer your PayPal. I have received a fair share of these when selling on Craigslist and eBay. Ignore it - the real buyer will show up at your front door with cash.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I get those all the time when I see a car or motorcycle. Same M.O. They send a trailer from a shipping company or whatnot. If it's not cash or a wire transfer into my bank I don't deal. I will not take Paypal payment for a vehicle but have sold to an overseas buyer once and to a Canadian buyer once. All done by email. I did get a check from Canada but waited like 2 or 3 weeks to be sure funds didn't get yanked just in case the check was fake.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I get those all the time when I see a car or motorcycle. Same M.O. They send a trailer from a shipping company or whatnot. If it's not cash or a wire transfer into my bank I don't deal. I will not take Paypal payment for a vehicle but have sold to an overseas buyer once and to a Canadian buyer once. All done by email. I did get a check from Canada but waited like 2 or 3 weeks to be sure funds didn't get yanked just in case the check was fake.

I sold a guy a very expensive watch on e bay... 10 grand. paid by pay pal... I waited for the money to clear, hand delivered the watch... face to face... photograph of him holding the watch and his drivers license. email a day later about how happy he is with it etc etc. 2 days later notice from pay pal... disputing the charge for " non delivery " . I had already transferred the money out of paypal so I got paid but apparently they PAID this guy his money back because the ONLY delivery confirmation they accept is " shipping to confirmed address " . would not accept any other proof. didn't cost me anything but the aggravation was monstrous and they froze that paypal acct... unbelievable ...

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
I sold a guy a very expensive watch on e bay... 10 grand...they PAID this guy his money back because the ONLY delivery confirmation they accept is " shipping to confirmed address " ...
Imagine how much money they need to be making to not even bat an eye over paying out $10k! Of course, in the end those of us who are honest pay that bill in some form...

Sounds like a scam for sure.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Bottom line...
Would YOU buy a car this way?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Confidential

Dear Sirs,

Good day and compliments. This letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, but I implore you to take the time to go through it carefully as the decision you make will go off a long way to determine the future and continued existence of the entire members of my family.

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Barrister Amobi Nzelu, the legal adviser to Mr. Mohammed Abacha, the heir apparent to the estate of the late Head of State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, late General Sani Abacha. I am contacting you due to the present situation as regard the special panel set up by the new democratic administration (spearheaded by Chief Olusegun Obasanjo who was jailed by my client's father during his tenure for an attempted coup plot against his administration).

An anti-corruption bill was recently passed in the country (apparently targeted on my client's family) to recover all supposed looted money kept by the Abacha's family both abroad and locally. This exercise has been going on for some time since the demise of my client's father. The government has succeeded so far to recover the sum of $3.2 Billion US Dollars from Swiss Bank account belonging to my client's father.

As at six months ago, they recovered $565Million US Dollars and on the 11th of November 2000 another $395 Million US Dollars was recovered owing to the co-operation of the Swiss government. These facts you can confirm from the Nigerian Embassy in your country or you can request for newspapers or BBC publications for further proof. I am consulting you on behalf of my client Mr. Mohammed Abacha who demands me to "urgently" look for a foreign partner, who could help us immediately to move a certain amount of money outside Nigeria.

All I want you to do is to receive the said amount in your name and invest it on behalf of my client's family who shall be a partner (under anonymity) in whatever business venture you intend investing. The money in question is about $40 Million United States Dollars, kept in a security vault. All documentation regarding this are in my possession and a power of attorney to transact this business has been fully given to me by my client. In the light of above, I am soliciting your assistance and partnership to move this money out of Nigeria for as both of us can make a lot of profit.

After due consultation with my client, a 30% of the whole money will be given to you as commission/compensation for obliging the materials and channel to help us push this money abroad for investment purpose. This money was kept and lodged in a security vault in a crate marked antique.

For the time being, it is safe and undisclosed. Therefore, contact me immediately, only, if you are able and interested in assisting me. Kindly contact me preferably using my email address at [email protected], as soon as possible.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Yours sincerely,

Barrister Amobi Nzelu
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts