Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that my "barn find" 1992 164 L is sorted and up for sale, this leaves me with the 91's engine and A/T transmission. Neither is suitable for my 94 LS.

Both have 77K miles on them and perfectly operational at the time of the wreck. The engine is not complete in that the passenger-side front impact was enough to bend the alternator mount and sever the serp belt, but the timing belt and covers are intact...it did not skip time. Transmission, untouched. The two are still mated.

Here's my question: as a hypothetical buyer would you be more interested in the transmission and engine as a unit, or would you be inclined to only one or the other? And if the later, would you be more interested in complete units or parts (i.e. - heads, cams, crank, etc. - though this would pain me as the engine had solid compression, no valve noise, and I'd just changed the oil)?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I'm not a potential buyer, but if I was it would most likely be either the transmission or the motor. I think you could sell the motor as a unit and not part it out, especially if it is complete with accessories.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Richard. You've confirmed my thoughts, I'll split them up this weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,995 Posts
Thanks, Richard. You've confirmed my thoughts, I'll split them up this weekend.
Once you pull tranny off you will still have torque convertor attached to flywheel flex plate with three allen head bolts. You have to go through three holes in flywheel from engine side to remove them so remember to rotate engine clockwise when viewed from front of engine.

Be careful with torque convertor if you try to reinstall it in tranny, I would leave it out unless you stand tranny on outer left axle end and carefully reengage torque convertor and make a retaining bracket to keep it centered and secure.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I'm odd. I wouldn't separate them unless someone is serious and wants one or, the other. Advertise as "will sell separate" or something like that. I could see it snoballing in to "I want just this do-dad or the 3rd exhaust manifold and you'd soon have a mess. I personally would be buyng the whole shootin' match just to have - not just a part here or a part there. ciao, chris

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In this instance, the engine could be used in almost 100% of the remaining 91-93 164's in North America while the transmission would apply to about half (or less?) So, heeding Steve's thoughtful advice, I'll separate them and give them both rolling supports this weekend.

·
Premium Member
26,995 Posts
In this instance, the engine could be used in almost 100% of the remaining 91-93 164's in North America while the transmission would apply to about half (or less?) So, heeding Steve's thoughtful advice, I'll separate them and give them both rolling supports this weekend.
Oak furniture dollies from Home Depot or Lowes work well at my house for both engines and trannys when seperated.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I'm odd. I wouldn't separate them unless someone is serious and wants one or, the other. Advertise as "will sell separate" or something like that. I could see it snoballing in to "I want just this do-dad or the 3rd exhaust manifold and you'd soon have a mess. I personally would be buyng the whole shootin' match just to have - not just a part here or a part there. ciao, chris
Eric, I would keep them together until one or the other sold. Perhaps they'd both sell together to someone in need.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts