Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What year is your Lloyd? I remember those from the late '50s/ early 60s. A couple around town when I was a kid. Those showed up when Euro cars were introduced in the US, and a bunch of marques had to go thru the American taste test to see who lived and who did not make the cut. Beetles, Renault Dauphines, SAAB 94s, Borgwards, Lloyds, BMW Isettas, Messersmitts, Austins, Morris, and a ton of others. Love to see a pic of yours.
ive got a few actualy, the first one turned up a few houses down one day from a 69 barracuda fastback i was restoring for a preacher, and i "thought" it was an early volvo(right letter count), as it was a friend of his i walked over and realised it SHRANK the closer i got, after some talkin and his frustration in it, i traded a 80s mustang 5spd trans for it, a 58 kombi, got it running not long later but...lloyds make alfas look rust free any day of the week, the main body was solid but the chassis was basicly a spine, so it evolved twice, while hunting for trim and tidbits i came across a 57 kombi with a full roof sunroof, they didnt want to sell any parts alone but a truckload of parts and the car as a "lot" i think i paid 150$ and honestly i was willing to pay that just for the meat hook hood ornement id found in the boxes and wouldnt let go of, some years later i stumbled across a 58 coupe thats solid enough to bring back, traded 25 inch lcd tv/pc screen id gotten for free for it, an hour drive home and going over the car before unloading and the rear window falls out in my hands...to this day i have no idea how it didnt blow out on the way home

end plan is to finish up the eurosled 58 lloyd, restore the 57 with the alexander TS drivetrain from the sled so i have a "before and after" and then do something with the coupe, ive got a friend intrested in it

heres the 58 build

i love keeping the 2 kombis together for the "before and after" as its rather dramatic

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for the pix and the history on your Llyods. Sounds like you had your hands full on those with Swiss cheese bodies and chassises. Don't believe I've seen one of those rascals since I was a kid. Good luck with your projects, and stay safe out there.

One very minor thing to add to my list of solitary confinement projects--- I did order a new hood blanket for my GTV6, creepingly in-progress. As it is recommended it get applied with 3M spray glue, it may be awhile before I can determine if just using the factory push-clips to secure it can work. If it gets permanently attached with contact cement then the option of ever getting at the tea tray for removal gets scotched. Altho, I guess I could cut out a shape in the center to glue to the bottom of the tea tray, and glue the rest of the mat to the hood... if necessary. It's a flat neoprene panel, not a molded shape.

As of last night, I discovered a way to lessen the impact of the isolation thing. A group of close friends I often hang with usually meet up once a week for trivia night, etc. In discussing some options to replace that, we decided we could do that remotely via e-mail. I got the ball rolling by composing a list of trivia questions to mail to all, and would send the answers when requested. Another thing we used to do at our gatherings was to raise a glass to famous folks who had recently passed away. So one of the group suggested we set up an online forum to chat and toast our late heroes. We used Zoom, which was free. Last night we all sat at our computers to reconnect. Each of us had our own shot glass and bottle of hootch. 1 1/2 hours of joking around, catching up, and one toast to send off John Prine, Bill Withers, and Ellis Marsalis. If that sounds like something that would minimize the current isolation... go for it! Was a fun time.

Peter

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
those of us who are gamers are typicaly handling this well, honestly outside of not being able to pop out for small things like hitting a wrecker to hunt for hinges or getting something laser cut, its basicly life as normal for me, if youve got a good group might i recomend cards against humanity online(use the xyzzy website tho its MUCH better)

as for the hood, i removed my liner ages ago, and outside of appearance sake dont see the need for them....when i made an aluminum tray as well as had the aluminum trace cut into various lexan colors, black, smoke, red, clear, any "good" plastic shop can trace your OE unit, however i didnt like the fitment when i did that so i made a new template that fit the hole much tighter, and had them bevel the edges of the lexan, while the ones i have are a little thinner than id like as the bolt thru stainless hardware bows them a bit, next go round id go a good bit thicker and use countersunk hardware, however they have held up to close to 8 years + on both my gtv6 and my alfetta GT

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
whats the best place to get said boots? ive got atleast 3 sets i should do
assuming they are fetta/75/gtv6

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I got mine from Centerline a couple of years ago. Just checked and they are out of stock, unfortunately. BTW, love the Lloydfetta build.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts