Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As simple as trying to lubricate somethng or is it more involved? Do I have to remove the steering wheel ?

Right side cancels, left side doesn't.

Larry

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
There is a long thin spring that wraps around the steering shaft and tugs on the cancelling arms. this action relies on friction between the spring and the shaft and they should not be lubricated.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
That's only for the old Spiders, I think. I believe the S4 has a more modern mechanism where there's a tab on the switch that gets tripped, but I don't have one in front of me right now to verity.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If you cannot fix your old turn signal switch, you may have to buy a new one. New ones are hyper expensive. You might be able to locate a good used one and install it, then keep your old one as spare parts. I have a good used one which I am hording toward the day my own switch fails.

Yes, you have to remove the steering wheel, and at least 1/2 of the column cover.

Robert

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
That's only for the old Spiders,
That could well be the case. I only mess with the old, simple ones!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
There is an S4 out in CA somewhere being dismantled after an engine fire. Might have a useable turn signal switch. Saw it on craigslist. I will try to re locate it and post the contact info. It is in a commercial wrecking yard.

Robert

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
I do not know if the S4 Spider's switch is the same as the S3 or not. But if so, here's a look inside the Combination Switch of our '84 Spider.
does look almost identical to my S4, except the lever handles (the things you operate) are round for the S4.(see photo...disregard red arrow...)
People do sell a new version, which I was going to buy to fix a wiper problem, but I have looked at it over the counter at OKP (Munich alfa spares) and it looked plenty different and fairly cheaply made for the 270$ they were asking!
In the end I bought a s/h one for close to nothing that was not working, and swopped some parts over to mine to get the wiper interval thingy to work.....which it did:)

I'll try to get photos of the indicator cancelling mechanism,once I open up that part on my spare...it feels pretty springy, bet things are going to fly out!

From what I can see it is a clear plastic wheel in two halves, upper and lower, located in an oval slot (to allow movement). The lower half is just round, but the upper half has a tiny cog integrated. The indicator stalk also has teeth which when pulled down or pushed up, then engage this tiny cog.
Soooo....when you pull the indicator, say, down to go right, the lever engages a tiny cog on the upper part of the wheel, and at the same time pushes the wheel out towards the steering shaft........the steering shaft (thus in contact with the lower half of the wheel) spins back as you come out of the corner and (tiny cog on upper half of wheel is engaged remember!:)) and returns the indicator handle.........clear as mud......eh?:confused:

Basically, it is designed by a neanderthal and put together by a chimpanzee under sleep deprivation.

But I bet that clear plastic wheel is the problem Larry has got.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not know if the S4 Spider's switch is the same as the S3 or not. But if so, here's a look inside the Combination Switch of our '84 Spider.
Excellent Tutorial! I'm not sure if they are the same either, but I'll bet they are not all that different.

This looks like a major PIA. I'd have to do more research on how to get the steering wheel off, etc.,

I think I'm going to make this a back burner project......and turn signals off manually...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
Yeah, and on the S4 I'm pretty sure steering wheel requires removing the driver knee bolster, which requires removing a bunch of trim around the center console, etc. Not a particularly fun job.

I think manually turning off the turn signals is a good option!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yeah, and on the S4 I'm pretty sure steering wheel requires removing the driver knee bolster, which requires removing a bunch of trim around the center console, etc. Not a particularly fun job.
S4 will probably have an airbag which will have to be electrically disabled before removal and then carefully re-energised after re-instlation. There is a tutorial on SAFELY dealing with S4 airbags somewhere on this BB.

Robert

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
1993 S4 Spider being dismantled for parts after wiper motor fire spread to engine compartment. 43,105 miles. Los Angeles phone 323-875-2330. Call Mon - Sat 8 - 4 pacific coast time. Look at craigslist - Los Angeles - Alfa Romeo

Robert

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
S4 will probably have an airbag which will have to be electrically disabled before removal and then carefully re-energised after re-instlation. There is a tutorial on SAFELY dealing with S4 airbags somewhere on this BB.
Eh, not really a big deal. Just disconnect the battery while doing the job and reconnect afterwards. The airbag itself needs to be removed and unplugged, but there's nothing too risky about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1993 S4 Spider being dismantled for parts after wiper motor fire spread to engine compartment. 43,105 miles. Los Angeles phone 323-875-2330. Call Mon - Sat 8 - 4 pacific coast time. Look at craigslist - Los Angeles - Alfa Romeo

Robert
Thank you! I could use a few other parts...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts