Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have one lug nut on the left rear of my '71 spider. I know it come off clockwise. The previous owner used three different type of lug nuts. This one is like others that came off, but I am exhausted mentally and physically from trying to remove it. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

It was a lug that someone put on as a substitute. It was the wrong spin. I about busted a nut trying to turn it the correct way.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
It's possible (I guess) that someone previously broke a stud and replaced it with a RH threaded one. If you hadn't already taken the other 3 off with clockwise rotation I'd say that you might not have the original rear end. Otherwise, you might try a propane torch - provided the alloys aren't magnesium. I don't guess you have an air impact wrench do you?

Bill

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Bill has the right idea. Put 'em all back on and go to a tire shop and get them to loosen the stuck one with their impact wrench. A little never seize and the correct torque on reassembly.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it was a stud that was substituted. I about busted a nut trying to take it off. When all failed, I went the other way. I emailed the guy I bought it from and he said he forgot to tell me. Thanks for our comments. I appreciate it.
captain Jim

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
If I'd noticed you were posting from Arkansas (I'm in Booneville, SE of Ft Smith), I'd have guessed correctly! Was the PO an Arky? That would explain it.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Thanks guys, it was a stud that was substituted.
Wow. Someone that's even cheaper than me. I think you have to pull the axle to replace a rear stud. They're what, $3 each? Why would you just do one? Unless it was a tire shop that the PO was using. Sometimes those guys aren't exactly brainy.

Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, he was from FL, a Puerto Rican to boot. Now he tells , ---------OH, by the way, I used silicone adhesive on the valve cover gasket to stop an oil leak. You might want to change it out. -------I can believe the car is in as good of shape that it is. Nice project.If you are ever up this way, go to www.riverridgeinn.com and contact me.

Captain Jim

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I broke a rear stud on off my Spider it was on the rear drivers side. To replace it I had to take the calipers and the parking brake hub off on that wheel and I was able to fish in a new stud through a slot in the parking brake rear plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts