Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You and I agree on a lot in regards to the actions of pot stirrers vs the majority of good guys in the section.
No offense John, but perhaps you want to take over the super job that Ruedi vacated, if you have a divining rod handy and a fire suit.;) I don't think it is quite that simple.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I do not buy into the move along attitude, dont like it too bad, do not go there. Tell me how to avoid it from the thread title.
Oh, good grief. This kind of argument has become so increasingly tedious, John. What part of "f-r-e-e e-x-p-r-e-s-s-i-o-n" do you not get? Do you honestly think your personal sensibilities are so important that the rest of the world---in this case, the rest of the Alfabb---is obligated to protect you from offense? We're supposed to be grownups here, John. If you come across some comments you don't like just excerise a little adult discretion, don't read 'em . . . and leave the rest of us alone!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Oh, good grief. This kind of argument has become so increasingly tedious, John. What part of "f-r-e-e e-x-p-r-e-s-s-i-o-n" do you not get? Do you honestly think your personal sensibilities are so important that the rest of the world---in this case, the rest of the Alfabb---is obligated to protect you from offense? We're supposed to be grownups here, John. If you come across some comments you don't like just excerise a little adult discretion, don't read 'em . . . and leave the rest of us alone!
Hey Jim...great advice, but why don't you follow it? Last time I checked this isn't the 180OUTBB now is it. How about you worry about your obligations to treat others with respect, and lets leave the world's and Alfabb's obligations for someone else to figure out. Last I checked, its not your house or mine. We are all guests here. I can have my "free expression" now can't I? What part of that do you not understand? Seriously, perhaps some of that acting like a grown up might assist you. If you find my post too tedious for you, how about you just exercise some of that adult discretion.

Perhaps it was lost on you that I haven't singled a person out as an example. I guess I don't have to......

No offense John, but perhaps you want to take over the super job that Ruedi vacated, if you have a divining rod handy and a fire suit.;) I don't think it is quite that simple.
None taken. You are right RC...its not quite that simple. I wish it was. And I don't have divining rod nor a desire to be a mod, and actually feel sorry for those guys who have to referee the nonsense. Flame suit I do have.:D

I don't think there is a full proof solution. But I would like to have an off topic section that we all can participate in. As a gun owner, I would like to discuss ARs without all the political BS that gets injected from both sides. I would like to own one for nothing more that reliving the military days. We know those threads either turn into a 2nd amendment agenda speech or lets ban all guns...or both....with plenty of name calling, just ridiculous behavior.

Those saying don't read it honestly makes no sense at all to me. Sounds great though....but someone, please explain to me how I magically tell the difference between a thread that is filled with trash talk vs one that is real content without reading it?

All I am saying is make a sub forum for all the trash talking, insults, agenda speeches, so that its in one spot. If someone wants a thread to tout the 2nd amendment....or ban 30 round magazines...put it in the "nuclear" sub forum and debate away. Participants would know, you get what you get. Wild west. Have at it boys. Get it out of the general off topic section so it can be avoided. I would love a freaking clean gun thread in the off topic section. I WILL GLADLY leave 180OUT there in his own sub forum all by his lonesome with all sorts of free expression.:D He can go in there and start a "I hate John M, leave me alone" thread and peck away at his keyboard....I wouldn't care!:D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
John - As you point out in a roundabout way, unfortunately, the concept of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" has been retired to the dustbin labeled "Civil Society and Gentlemanly Conduct."

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Enough already. THis thread was about getting broad inputs. It has plummeted to a tirade between two people. Just like the other "problem" threads.

STOP IT! Both of you!

Robert

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
John, first of all, congrats on your accomplishment! I am so happy for you. I wonder how your slalom times have changed? Can't wait to see what's left of you again and hoist a low carb protein shake.

John, The sign was not aimed at you or your comment, just ABB members in general. A karmic statement. Sorry if that was the unintended inference. I suspect that would solve most of the problems throughout the board - civility, reason and diversity. Some (many/most) questions have no absolute answer and don't need one. Like sump guards, a divisive topic, lay out the pros and cons and let folks choose and suffer the consequences either way.

John, This was the statement that I felt was overt hyperbole regarding an OT and triggered my thought above: "Call the subforum....trash talk....nuclear lounge....the dumpster.....the backroom lounge....some name that draws attention to those entering what they are entering."

Dragline, no that is not me but that is the guilty burger; they have multiple patty alternates for the Atkins crowd.

All - note that no one is yelling here, just a calm reasoned discussion. John & I, still friends, and are sitting back in our recliners miles apart, him with a protein shake :), me with an Elijah Craig 18 year (almost gone :(), debating the question posed in this thread. To think otherwise reveals one's propensity to avoid debate altogether and label it bad.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Note to moderators: Stop.

A few months ago, about when the ownership change occurred, Robert/60'sRacer made a telling comment about how easy it is to wreck a successful car discussion website. We've just witnessed a pretty good example of how to do just that. I won't enumerate sins and ommissions but I would like to offer a simple suggestion: stop. Rather than trying to "fix" things, just drop back for awhile, keep the lights on, sweep out the spam and trolls . . . and let things settle. The "old" Alfabb was a much more enjoyable place to visit than the "new" one. Let's see if we can return to it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Great idea. There has been plenty of changes. Let those settle in before making more.

Remember change is not always better.

Robert

·
Administrator
16,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Rather than trying to "fix" things, just drop back for awhile, keep the lights on, sweep out the spam and trolls . . . and let things settle. The "old" Alfabb was a much more enjoyable place to visit than the "new" one. Let's see if we can return to it.
We're listening. Tell us more about what is different about the "new BB" vs the "old BB".

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
John, first of all, congrats on your accomplishment! I am so happy for you. I wonder how your slalom times have changed? Can't wait to see what's left of you again and hoist a low carb protein shake.

John, The sign was not aimed at you or your comment, just ABB members in general. A karmic statement. Sorry if that was the unintended inference. I suspect that would solve most of the problems throughout the board - civility, reason and diversity. Some (many/most) questions have no absolute answer and don't need one. Like sump guards, a divisive topic, lay out the pros and cons and let folks choose and suffer the consequences either way.

John, This was the statement that I felt was overt hyperbole regarding an OT and triggered my thought above: "Call the subforum....trash talk....nuclear lounge....the dumpster.....the backroom lounge....some name that draws attention to those entering what they are entering."

All - note that no one is yelling here, just a calm reasoned discussion. John & I, still friends, and are sitting back in our recliners miles apart, him with a protein shake :), me with an Elijah Craig 18 year (almost gone :(), debating the question posed in this thread. To think otherwise reveals one's propensity to avoid debate altogether and label it bad.
You and I agree again Bruce. I am not trying to imply anything other than a warning in regards to the name of the sub forum. I have seen similar forums across the web use similar....ie f chat is backroom lounge. Just think a name that implies the unmoderated nature of the topics within would make sense.

We are absolutely friends. Just pour me some Apple Pie and all will be forgiven.:D

John - As you point out in a roundabout way, unfortunately, the concept of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" has been retired to the dustbin labeled "Civil Society and Gentlemanly Conduct."
Very true John.

Enough already. THis thread was about getting broad inputs. It has plummeted to a tirade between two people. Just like the other "problem" threads.

STOP IT! Both of you!

Robert
Agreed. It would be nice if a positive result comes from the turmoil.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
New topic, new thread??

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
We're listening. Tell us more about what is different about the "new BB" vs the "old BB".
Simon and Anthony, to the best of my recollection, never made a public comment about any member, ever. I also do not remember much about taking a public position about content, unless a distinct violation such as a direct attack between members, in which case he might post a single sentence, like "that is enough of this" and most often a post or group of them would simply be deleted with no explanation. I was fine with that, as it seldom seemed as if they picked winners and losers. It was extremely rare that a thread was locked. I prefer that approach to that of the past 6 months, but perhaps a compromise will work better for the new owners. We too are listening.

I'm getting forgetful, so please correct me if I am in a fog today. ;)

BTW, I think some moderators are pretty much following the same methodology and do a great job!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
All has not been peaceful in the past history of the BB.

There was a considerable dust-up many years ago concerning a couple of miscreants that were ultimately banned. They were given lots of chances to comply with the community rules, but IMO, they proved mentally and emotionally incapable of civil discussion. They'd get better for a while, then always go back to insults, trouble-making, and believing they were too valuable to do without. They were wrong.

From my perspective, the moderators at the time let it get WAY out of hand and go on WAY too long before finally taking action.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
All has not been peaceful in the past history of the BB.

There was a considerable dust-up many years ago concerning a couple of miscreants that were ultimately banned.
If you are talking about Dr Stu, you perhaps forget that before his ban, Does 135, and perhaps a couple of others, made some uncalled for direct attacks on him, and that Identity is still active, and those attacks are still up for all to see. I'm not saying things will ever be perfect, but that event is the sort that causes potential liability that should be avoided. I agree that firm moderation is sometimes warranted, and hopefully will be an improvement.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
If you are talking about Dr Stu, you perhaps forget that before his ban, Does 135 made some very awful direct attacks on him, and that Identity is still active, and those attacks are still up for all to see. I'm not saying things will ever be perfect.
Also of note that the object of Does 135's scorn, *********** was who passed. I had met him and he was a nice guy. The harrassment was not the root cause, but certainly did not help....essentially gasoline to fire.

The difference between then and now...its the temperment of the users...less civility, more injection of political views, less self control now. I see mod actions only increasing to deal with increasing problems driven by more problematic users. They start behaving, and the issues disappear.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Dr Stu did cause a lot of problems. Does 135 has since passed away.
Dr Stu certainly did, and deserved the ban. He and ddouglas, and other targets provide a level of Irony, don't you think? I'm suggesting we learn from the past as we try to better things.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
81 - 100 of 147 Posts