Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Paul - No. Moderators are not compensated other than given free membership to the BB by the owners.

As far as the rules go, read the "Community Rules" at the bottom of the screen. If one conducts them self as a gentleman or lady, then they can be assured that they are well within the boundaries of the "rules."

Unfortunately, gentlemanly conduct and self-control is not a personal code shared by all.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Hi John, this is highly debatable as per recent experience, where rules have apparently/allegedly not been applied fairly and equitably to ALL members. I am still smarting form a weeks suspension a month ago for God knows what. And a Moderator resigned over, I think, that and it did not make 5:00 headlines. I do not much care, I considered the souce.

I have no dog in the "Gun" discussion at all and do not much follow the Off-Topic area, but after reviewing it, it appeared that gunheads were having a nice joint civil discussion until anti-gun provocateurs joined in, lobbed in firebombs (as is wont), and fanned the flames of anger with THEIR Off-thread talk.

Folks now were suspended for what many/most feel is just spirited discussion or disagreement, some with Moderators, and others were not suspended with name calling and personal attacks of a nature not often seen, and still not acted upon. "Waiting". Again, this is off-topic but you took it there and I can't let this elephant sit in the room un-noticed. Why??

Unfortunately, the litany of issues I cited above is all interconnected to the topic of this thread, Off-topic talk, and how we got into this morass. You can address them one-by-one, or a few, or not at all, but a systematic Root Cause Analysis will yield one "root" causes and several "contributing" causes. Take one or more away and you have no incident or a smaller manageable one. That's how Deepwater Horizon drilling rig blowouts occur, just as in human blowouts. Serious events occur because of a confluence of events. Any one eliminated might have stopped it. And of course there is one view that there shouldn't be any drilling or fossil fuel just as there shouldn't be any off topic talk folder so blowouts, well or human, would not occur. Full circle and back on topic. Cheers. Bruce

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
There have been suggestions about modifying or eliminating the Off-Topic section of the BB. The moderators have been discussing this and would appreciate input from any interested BB members
When I read this my first thought was to shout STOP! The recent problems we’ve encountered were not caused by the off-topic forum but, instead, by Alfabb moderators who gave tacit or overt support to actions which ultimately caused more damage to the Alfabb than any other time in it’s history. Yeah I know, guys, you were probably as blind-sided as anyone else but---let’s face it---this happened on your watch. What came from the bb’s moderators was far and away worse than anything that was ever said on the off-topic forum or anywhere else on the bb.

And so, after all that’s happened, you NOW decide that the off-topic forum needs you to fix it . . . by modifying or eliminating it? And Ruedi happily types away, giving us navigation instructions on how to do just that?

The problem isn’t with the off-topic forum which has always been an important part of the very successful Alfabb. There was a serious lapse in 'net ethics which allowed the complaints of upset individuals to have moral equilivance with the far more important principal of freedom of expression. If bad decisions hadn’t been made concerning that point, we wouldn’t have had this crisis, damage wouldn’t have been done, a popular thread closed, people wouldn’t have been unfairly banned, and the Alfabb would still be a place where freedom of expression still meant something. You can’t have it both ways, guys. There’s no middle ground on this one.

I’m going off to read about rainbow bridges and bunny rabbits. :)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
"I have no dog in the "Gun" discussion at all and do not much follow the Off-Topic area, but after reviewing it, it appeared that gunheads were having a nice joint civil discussion until anti-gun provocateurs joined in, lobbed in firebombs (as is wont), and fanned the flames of anger with THEIR Off-thread talk"

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Very simple-- eliminate it ---It saves the moderators from reading it and all the 40 plus postings on here. If there is an earnest funk that Off-topic' ers go into they can form their own Society of Off-Topic site. THIS IS AN ALFA ROMEO BULLETIN BOARD- not a "Letters to the Editor" editorial page from the Daily Planet.

My motive is not to ruin someone else's playpen. I don't go to the Off-Topic and lurk or spy.

BUT, I do appreciate the effort and time of the moderators and if they are spending their time on policing a subject or thread not associated with ALFA ROMEO, then the fiber and purpose of this wonderful tool to Alfa owners is significantly diminished.(And I kept this to one view without the need to scroll.)

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Very simple-- eliminate it ---It saves the moderators from reading it and all the 40 plus postings on here. If there is an earnest funk that Off-topic' ers go into they can form their own Society of Off-Topic site. THIS IS AN ALFA ROMEO BULLETIN BOARD- not a "Letters to the Editor" editorial page from the Daily Planet.

My motive is not to ruin someone else's playpen. I don't go to the Off-Topic and lurk or spy.

BUT, I do appreciate the effort and time of the moderators and if they are spending their time on policing a subject or thread not associated with ALFA ROMEO, then the fiber and purpose of this wonderful tool to Alfa owners is significantly diminished.(And I kept his to one view without the need to scroll.)
This perfectly sums up my feelings.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had a good experience in another enthusiast forum which is basically unmoderated (or self- moderated, but without any controls other than dialog). As that forum has matured, though a roller coaster at times, those of us who have stuck with it now know each other very well. Some I seek out, some I avoid.

I greatly appreciate the chance to get input from intelligent people with a wide range of experience and interests, especially once there is some background with another poster. There can be a richness and depth which greatly increases the desirability of the forum. And there is an increased level of personal responsibility required.

Having said this, I don't venture into the OT section here much, as my personal needs are met elsewhere. But IMHO the forum will benefit from a wider range of discussions.

If its just about Alfa Romeo's, most everything's already been said. And a social group focused solely on Alfa's will wither.

My suggestion for self moderation of your postings (whether moderated or not):

Acceptable: "I will never run anything but the pre -1972 redline Hot Wheels"

Not acceptable: " You are an idiot if you run anything but the pre -1972 redline Hot Wheels"

Acceptable: "JimmyBobBob, your postings are aggressively offensive and since we're self moderating, I am asking you to stop."

Not acceptable: "%^&* you and your %^&^%"

Carl

·
Registered
357 Posts
I vote #2--ELIMINATE.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I think the Women & Alfa`s thread should be moved to the "Off Topic" area, so it can be properly addressed...
Not a bad idea! After all, it says "Women & Alfas" not "Alfas & Women" (i.e. the emphasis on women makes it off-topic by definition).

I suggest family pictures and press pictures remain in the Picture Room, though.

·
Administrator
16,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
We (the moderators) appreciate all the input provided. We're listening! We recognize that mistakes were made recently and will endeavor to avoid repeating those errors. (we'll work hard to make new mistakes...)

Opinions about Off-Topic are divided (no surprise) - some say delete it, others say let free speech reign (i.e. unmoderated), others say leave it as it is/has been. We (the moderators) have agreed to listen with an open mind*. We would like to wrap up the topic so we can move on to more important things (like adjusting valves or adding Sta-Bil to the gas tank).

* please keep your comments about moderators "open minds" vs "lack of brains" to yourselves. :p

·
Registered
759 Posts
I vote leave it as is or put disclaimers that it is an unmoderated forums so those who CHOOSE to go there understand they can not complain about what they see or hear, short of threats of presonal violence. Remember sticks and stones... To those moderators that have had to be involved in this debacle I feel sorry for you but it is a part of what you agreed to do. Just because it is tough right now I do not feel is cause to eliminate a portion of this BB that has merit and value to members. Those who feel it is not simply do not go there. No one made anyone go to the off topic or gun thread and if they felt offended by what someone said to them or about their views then they have the ablility already built into this board to remove themselves from that discussion or isolate themselves from a given poster. The one thing I do not see is any moderator or other member showing me where this episode or the off topic forum in general has directly damaged another on topic Alfa forum minus the absence/contributions of a member who might have rightly or wrongly been put on time out. That though IS the main point, is this an issue of the off topic area or member etiquite/rules violations regardless of the forum? If member etiquite(sp) /rules violations then any discussion of removing or altering a given forum is the wrong approach to be taking.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I vote leave it as is or put disclaimers that it is an unmoderated forums so those who CHOOSE to go there understand they can not complain about what they see or hear, short of threats of presonal violence.
Well, said. To initiate a little more bottom-feeding :) I think we can now see the the core issues at work here. The classic, liberal, position is to always err on the side of freedom of expression.

The simple expedient, based on this, is to maintain the off-topic form as it is, in exactly the same place as it is. The only meaningful change should be the following disclaimer (or something similar): THIS IS THE OFF-TOPIC FORUM. IT"S PURPOSE IS PROMOTE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION ON THE ALFABB. IF YOU FIND A TOPIC OR COMENTS WITH WHICH YOU DISAGREE, DO NOT READ IT. DO NOT DEMAND THAT MODERATORS REMOVE THREADS/COMMENTS BECAUSE YOU DON"T LIKE WHAT'S BEING SAID. THIS IS WHY SUCH COMMENTS ARE RELEGATED TO THE OFF-TOPIC FORUM.

My view can be rather sharply contrasted with the remove-change-the-open-forum folks who, although not visiting or commenting the forum, object to it and comments in it, simply because it exists.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
.... The classic, liberal, position is to always err on the side of freedom of expression. ..
Now why did you have to politicize that very good comment? It's not just a LIBERAL position. It's a libertarian, and a republican, and a conservative, and a constitutional position.

I, for one, enjoy discussions with people who I disagree with. I learn more about their ideas, and especially, I learn more about MY ideas. Just don't take comments personally and you'll not be offended.

Robert

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Now why did you have to politicize that very good comment? It's not just a LIBERAL position. It's a libertarian, and a republican, and a conservative, and a constitutional position.

I, for one, enjoy discussions with people who I disagree with. I learn more about their ideas, and especially, I learn more about MY ideas. Just don't take comments personally and you'll not be offended.

Robert
Which opens up the possiblity of a ---"Married gay members of the NRA who eat red meat" forum... sorry it was low fruit.. NPI

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Errr . . . Robert. . . :) I meant the classic, 19th century form of liberalism; Adam Smith and Co., etc. Libertarians think of it as the basis for modern ideas of freedom and liberty. Maybe I should have left out the comma. :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
See! Perfectly reasonable comments can be misunderstood. Continuing dialog is what it takes to reach understanding!

(I understand!)

Robert

41 - 60 of 147 Posts