Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alfisti,

I need some questions answered, if you please. From the information that I received from Marco Fazio, my 1964 Giulia Spider was sold on the 16th July 1964 to Alfa Romeo Inc., Newark USA.

1. Does this means it arrived in Jersey on that date or that cars were sold and arrived much later?

2. Does anyone have any photos of the AR Inc., in Newark?

3. Were the headquarters there and the actual dealerships were else?

4. Is it possible to determine where an individual car was sold?

I know that several of you have a great deal of knowledge about classic Alfa stuff. Please feel free to share all you know about this.

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Seeking Info About AR Inc., in Newark

Alfisti,

I need some questions answered, if you please. From the information that I received from Marco Fazio, my 1964 Giulia Spider was sold on the 16th July 1964 to Alfa Romeo Inc., Newark USA.

1. Does this means it arrived in Jersey on that date or that cars were sold and arrived much later?

3. Were the headquarters there and the actual dealerships were else?

4. Is it possible to determine where an individual car was sold?

I know that several of you have a great deal of knowledge about classic Alfa stuff. Please feel free to share all you know about this.

Thanks

Ray
ARI, Alfa Romeo, Inc., headquarters was located in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey not Newark.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat,

Would the Giulia have been sold there?

Ray

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had someone write to Alfa Romeo thirty years ago about my 1961 Sprint Veloce. I received the following information: date of manufacture, owner, verified body number and engine number and color. I wrote to Alfa Romeo two years ago and they forwarded the date of construction, date of delivery, car was a Sprint Veloce, no original engine number, first name of original owner and color. I know that the car was delivered to an American in Switzerland because the original owner sent the car to Los Angeles and it was sold to my father either in September or October, 1961. I do not know the dealer's name in Switzerland, but I know that the car was sold by Kramer Motors located in Santa Monica, California to my father. I do not think that Alfa Romeo will give you any information about the dealer or original owner's name due to privacy laws. I have purchased three new Alfas from dealers located in the Los Angeles area and should write to Alfa about the cars.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
While I do not have any pictures of the Newark facility, the address was;

Alfa Romeo, Inc.
231 Johnson Ave.
Newark, New Jersey

The western division was located at;

215 Douglas St. South
El Segundo, CA

Without further research to narrow it down, ARIs move to the Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey facility (250 Sylvan Ave.) had occurred by 1974.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
From the info I've gotten from Elvira and Marco, all the US cars I've owned showed coming in to Alfa there, don't show the specific dealer they went to. I don't know if that's true for all eras though.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if new Alfas had anything like an American-style
window sticker?

If so, would someone post a photo is they have one?

If they did exist, does anyone know of repro source?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
330.gtc,

Is yours an original document? Could you post a photo of it? If you prefer, you could send me a PM. I would love to have an electronic copy to make one for my car. Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Does anyone know if new Alfas had anything like an American-style
window sticker?

If so, would someone post a photo is they have one?

If they did exist, does anyone know of repro source?

Thanks,

Ray
Ray,

There has been an intensive discussion/thread on this subject here before and an ALFABB member named Larry Mckeough had even these stickers made, I bought two from him. You might want to contact him as maybe he has some left or can give you advice on this matter.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dennis,

When I try and access the link, it replies that nothing is there.

Could you supply a bit more info, names, thread title, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help

Ray

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dennis,

I acquired a couple of the Engine Break-In decals a while back.

I was inquiring about the type of window sticker you would find on a side window of any new car sold by any of the Big 3; the one that listed the initial price, standard and options items, transportation costs and final price.. You remember that they were specifically prepared for each dealership, like. Runyan Pontiac in ST. Albans, WV, where I bought my '69 Espresso Brown, Ram Air III, GTO. We always referred to them as the "window sticker" from which one might get "sticker shock" once you read it!

Did this type of sticker come with new Alfas back in the day?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aha, is it supposed to be a sticker that sat on a side window? Then I misunderstood you as I thought it was about the windshield sticker.
I have no idea if the cars came with any side stickers back in time and when new, my US imported 1600 Spider didn´t have any.

Dennis

·
Registered
418 Posts
You are referring to the Monroney Label, mandatory on all new vehicles in the US after September 1958.
So yes, Giuliettas and Giulias would have had them when new.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I never knew there was an official name for the storied window sticker.

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dennis,

You bought your Alfa "new"?!

Any photos?

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mpnroney Label

I have added a link to an article that discusses the origin of the Monroney Label.

Rather interesting, though it doesn't get me any closer to securing one for my '64 Giulia Spider.

We soldier on!

Ray

The Window Sticker Turns 50

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Dennis,

You bought your Alfa "new"?!

Any photos?

Ray
No Ray, I bought my ´62 1600 Spider approx. 25 years ago from a local guy who imported it from Miami, Florida.
PM me your mail address and I´ll send you some pics, although no resto pics as I still have them on paper photos.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts