Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,929 Posts
Engine work over body work any day of the week. Motor can always be brought back to new. Body work, especially on older cars, never brought back to new especially if rusted.
... or severely collision damaged.

That was my point about that red spider that had been rear-ended. Buy a car like that, fix the body as well as you can afford, then after a few years when you have spent time and money going through the drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc. you're going to always regret not spending another few bucks to get one with a less molested body. As Alfamagnate wrote, you can never fully correct major body damage, whether due to rust or collision.

·
Registered
‘82 Spider S2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hello all. About a month ago, I started this thread as an Aspiring Alfa Romeo Owner, seeking advice as I began my quest. Today, I get to drop the “aspiring.” I am no a proud owner of an ‘82 Series 2 Spider in Signal Red.

I just wanted to give a quicks thanks to those of you who shared your advice to my original request for advice, and the numerous threads I’ve read on this site. I feel very comfortable in my knowledge & understanding of these cars, in large part due to this site.

I’m sure you’ll have to answer my questions on how to fix things now.

Cheers mates!

Brad

·
Registered
359 Posts
Looks good, enjoy the ride!

More than a few of us are approaching 'All Alfa, All The Time'. I've hear my wife tell her friends my moods match how my Spider is running . . . .

David OD
Laguna CA

·
Registered
649 Posts
Most wrenching can be done at home and has the benefit of manuals and help from the forum.

Bodywork is all touch, feel and technique.

I've done all the Bodywork and painted my own GTV6. I would never do that again if you held a gun to my head.

Good mechanics vs body for me

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Hello all. About a month ago, I started this thread as an Aspiring Alfa Romeo Owner, seeking advice as I began my quest. Today, I get to drop the “aspiring.” I am no a proud owner of an ‘82 Series 2 Spider in Signal Red.

I just wanted to give a quicks thanks to those of you who shared your advice to my original request for advice, and the numerous threads I’ve read on this site. I feel very comfortable in my knowledge & understanding of these cars, in large part due to this site.

I’m sure you’ll have to answer my questions on how to fix things now.

Cheers mates!

Brad
I thought an 82 was a series 3? The details fade in my memory. The pictures certainly show a lot of S3 features.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
An S2 would be Spica, and and S3 L-jet.

Show us the insides of the engine bay, BPHill. Also, date of manufacture?

Having said that, Alfa is infamous for blurred lines in model types. The term "transitional" is used a lot.

I prefer the Spica over L-jet, because I like to be tied up and whipped. Figuratively. The S2 cars are lighter, but there were definite quality improvements during the S3 run. So, either way, the car looks like a good choice.

·
Registered
‘82 Spider S2
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I thought an 82 was a series 3? The details fade in my memory. The pictures certainly show a lot of S3 features.
I think I have technically seen it listed as a Series 2a. I’m curious, as I’m still absorbing knowledge, what features are you seeing that makes you say S3?

The guy I bought from had this one, and a black one he used as a parts car. Both were manufactured in ‘82. Mine in April, the parts car later in ‘82 (I can’t recall the month). The other car was clearly Series 3. It had the foam spoiler, Square block letter badges, chunky triangular front bumper piece. So, I think mine falls in the murky time period. I prefer the S2 look. Pre-spoiler with the script Alfa Romeo on the rear, which this car has.

·
Push hard and live
9,977 Posts
Mainly, whether it has Spica mechanical injection or Bosch EFI.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think I have technically seen it listed as a Series 2a. I’m curious, as I’m still absorbing knowledge, what features are you seeing that makes you say S3?

The guy I bought from had this one, and a black one he used as a parts car. Both were manufactured in ‘82. Mine in April, the parts car later in ‘82 (I can’t recall the month). The other car was clearly Series 3. It had the foam spoiler, Square block letter badges, chunky triangular front bumper piece. So, I think mine falls in the murky time period. I prefer the S2 look. Pre-spoiler with the script Alfa Romeo on the rear, which this car has.
In the S2->3 transition and S3->s4 transitions, Alfa updated the mechanicals before the body for some cars. So some of the 82s are mechanically an S3 but structurally an S2 (likewise some late S3s were S4s mechanically, though I don't think they got the airbags and power steering). Personally, I'd classify by the body type rather than the mechanicals, as the latter could be changed but the former not by a subsequent owner.

Personally, I think the transition cars are actually pretty desirable. The updates made the cars more powerful/reliable, but the old body types are lighter (although the late s2 bumpers are super heavy).

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Okay, so it looks like you answered your own question before you got answers from this forum.
You are a better mechanic than a body man. Me too.
The one you showed with the left rear quarter damage is fixable. I have fixed worst but it need someone with a frame machine to pull it and check out the body alignment.
Not sure an S2 is really worth it but they are more valuable than an S3 series. I fixed a duetto that had both quarters damaged like that and it looked great when done.
Best of luck.
FYI, Eric is a good guy with some nice cars. I want his MGA:LOL:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts