Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Making a list of items to fix before I take my restored Duetto back to the shop. In addition to windshield and door frames not matching, one odd issue that I could use clarification on is the turn signal indicator lights and parking/headlamp indicators in the dash. Should these be secure? Mine are not, they can be pulled out (although I haven't) and spin rather freely.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Making a list of items to fix before I take my restored Duetto back to the shop. In addition to windshield and door frames not matching
Not matching how? Are you talking about the fit between the windwing frame and the windshield? Is it possible that you have doors and/or windwing frames from a squareback (i.e., a '71 or later spider)? The windshield is more raked on squarebacks, so the windwing glass and frames are a different shape. A photo might help diagnose this one.

one odd issue that I could use clarification on is the turn signal indicator lights and parking/headlamp indicators in the dash. Should these be secure? Mine are not, they can be pulled out (although I haven't) and spin rather freely.
Sorry, it has been a long time since I assembled my Duetto. I'm sure those indicators are retained somehow - they shouldn't rotate freely or pull out. But whether there is a snap ring or a nut on the backside has faded from my memory banks (along with a lot else!).

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If the Spider uses the same retention method as the GTV, then the lights are secured to the dash with a pushnut from the rear. There's a bit more detail in this post. No pic of the pushnut though. :(

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
So barring the presence/availability of the pushnut, likely a short section of rubber hose of the proper diameter could be substituted and shoved on snug to the backside using a deepwell socket or bit of pipe?

·
Registered
330 Posts
So barring the presence/availability of the pushnut, likely a short section of rubber hose of the proper diameter could be substituted and shoved on snug to the backside using a deepwell socket or bit of pipe?
What I found when I disassembled mine were thick rubber washers pressed on from the rear of the indicator housings. Mine was missing a few but I used all new rubber washers cut from a piece of rubber hose.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. It would seem that the pushnut would not prevent the lenses from rotating, but are there to hold it in place.

I suspect mine were simply pushed into place and not secured from the back. I'll ask the shop to look into it.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Properly installed, the stock pushnuts or even rubber bits would keep the housings from rotating in the holes. The whatever grabs the body of the housing and butts up tightly to the back of the panel which in turn keeps everything in place with no turning or vibration.

If the metal bezel itself is turning on the lamp housing, then it needs to be snugged up by gently tapping at it from the back side with the front well supported using a brass or aluminum drift/flat end punch, a light hammer and a lot of patience.
I suppose if tightening the crimp weren't your cup of tea, one could make a wee little putty knife out of plastic or something and pack gasket maker into the seam where the bezel crimps over the housing to lock it together that way, but that might be a bit tedious.

Further yet: A small flat rubber washer made from inner tube behind the bezel but in the front of the panel would go a ways toward stoping the bezel from turning, give extra grip to the body itself, and when locked in using a pushnut or rubber ring from behind, would make for a pretty solid affixment of the housing as a whole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts