Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to inspect & detail my battery tray on my ‘77 Super Nuova. I removed the battery and plastic heat guard , and applied some Fluid Film to the top and bottom of tray. Upon reinstallation , I tightened the bracket that secures the battery to the tray. I then tried to move the battery and it seemed quite secure. The OCD in me couldn’t resist to tighten the bracket nuts with additional turns and rechecking the battery’s secure ness . The securing rods proximity to radiator concerned me but all seemed well. I began to wonder was it possible to overtighten the securing bracket, possibly jeopardizing the integrity of the battery and hooking mechanism of the tray? For I could of kept tightening the bracket nuts for a number of additional turns. When is a secure battery secure? 🤪

·
Premium Member
22,813 Posts
Since you cite OCD, probably you're overthinking and overworrying? But yes, the rods are pulling on thin sheet metal, which can bend, tear, corrode etc. So a measured tightness is good. Normally the rods are 6mm, so like 5 lb ft of torque is probably plenty. Use a locknut if you're worried about the nut backing off?
Andrew

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since you cite OCD, probably you're overthinking and overworrying? But yes, the rods are pulling on thin sheet metal, which can bend, tear, corrode etc. So a measured tightness is good. Normally the rods are 6mm, so like 5 lb ft of torque is probably plenty. Use a locknut if you're worried about the nut backing off?
Andrew
Thanks Andrew very understanding & kind of you , OCD is not the issue as much as the danger of a little knowledge. I found the battery tray quite thin and was concerned with tearing it, in addition to possibly stressing the battery with too much crushing pressure . I like the idea of 5 lb feet of torque . I’m sure much more skilled practitioners can do it by feel.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
Many models of Alfas have battery hold-downs secured with 6 mm hex nuts, which of course are tightened with a wrench, so can be over-tightened. The typical auto parts store "universal" battery hold-down kit comes with wing nuts, which might be a better solution for preventing over-tightening.

So yes, get it snug, use lock washers to hold it snug, but don't torque it like a cylinder head.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Years ago Ward and Deane replaced the angle hold down bar on my 69 Spider with one made of fiberglass. I have noted that some models of battery and connectors the steel angle get quite close to the terminals. It also mitigates its corrosion. I use nylock nuts and just tight enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago Ward and Deane replaced the angle hold down bar on my 69 Spider with one made of fiberglass. I have noted that some models of battery and connectors the steel angle get quite close to the terminals. It also mitigates its corrosion. I use nylock nuts and just tight enough.
I’ve revisited the battery and loosened everything a couple of turns . It s really snug and won’t budge. I really appreciate everyone’s input. It proves nothing is insignificant on the board!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts