Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up to race with the SVRA March 2 - 5th at their Sebring event. I was hoping to have my GTV6 put back together for this event so I could bring two cars but that was a bridge to far.

So I am bringing the Berlina and a host of spares.

This year I will make sure that the drain plug for the rear has been tightened and safety wired.

I'm really looking forward to the racing, warm weather and seeing old friends. So who else is going?

Greg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, as a spectator.

I will be there as a spectator. Really looking forward to the racing and the sunshine. We had 11 inches of snow yesterday.
See you there.
Bernie

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
I will be there with Richard's crew and Will Painter is entered.

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
Richard has decided to skip Sebring and I would like to join another crew. I will bring my air mattress and sleeping bag. I just need a floor on which to sleep.

·
Premium Member
13,063 Posts
It was not that bad. The two guys who raced Apex Engineering prepared cars, Steve Benjamin and Cesar Cone, had no drama weekends. Greg Seferian had no 5th gear but he and his Berlina ran well all weekend except for running out of fuel in qualifying. Will Painter ran some fast laps before he got fuel delivery problems that persisted after we replaced the pump. Rob Mocas was going well with his new spider until the last race when he destroyed a spark plug. Sadly Hal Nichols hit the tire wall at the exit from turn 1 and smashed the front of his GTV. He has transported it to Tom Turner for repairs. Vince Vacarro as body damage to the rear of his GTV but he did such a good job of color coded tape repair that it looked ok from a distance. He was fast all weekend. Steve Schwitters was a spectator.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Although I did have a run in with a BMW which damaged to the left rear corner, the weekend was overall very good. Very tough to complain about the Florida weather, sunny and 70-80s ,when your coming from freezing NY.
My first session out Thursday I had fuel issues also, but I replace the fuel pump and all was good the rest of the weekend.
Sebring is one of my top three tracks, which include the Glen and VIR. Already looking forward to next year.

Good luck to all the rest of the year!!

Vince

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had a great time at Sebring. The weather was way better than the cold front that was parked in New York. It was a pleasure to spend time with the rest of the Alfa contingent and there were a lot of spectators that got a kick out of the car. I know I annoyed the heck out of a few Porsche 356B's and a 912 by showing them what the rear of an Alfa Berlina looks like, but they didn't get to glance at it for so long...

For some strange reason the CR gearbox decided that it didn't want to go into 5th so I drove the whole weekend just using 4th. After speaking to a few friends I decided to turn the rev limiter up to 7800. In the attached video you can hear the motor up against the rev limiter on the back straight and before the hairpin, that's exactly at 113-114 MPH. This was the last lap of the last race on Sunday. I'm all by myself with the front runners gone and everyone behind me quite far back. I finished 9th in a 19 car field.

I was able to better my best time at Sebring in this car by quite a bit despite being on old rubber (2011!) so that really made my weekend. The car made every session and did really well. The only issue was caused by my crew getting the fuel load wrong which caused me to run out of fuel on a qualifier.

I've got the cameras backwards, the wide angle should be pointed a the driver.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hate to hear about the incidents, but it sounds like everyone walked away which is always most important. I missed it by a week, but I'll be there next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts