Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lads

My 1300 Junior has two front seats from a 1750, the drivers side seat has broken and sags to the right, the foam is dintergrating under the upholstery and the head rest adjustment is dodgey.

I have found these porsche seats which I think would really suit the car as they from the early model 911, same era and look a lot more reliable than the alfa versions.

My car came with a 1750 motor but now has a 2.0 as the 1750 was stuffed and my mate had a 2.0 in good condition so its not a fully original car. I think the original seats were sans headrests which is probably why they were replaced.

There has been some talk about alternative seats, does anyone have any experience with these seat from http://www.vintageseats.com/ or suggest any other seats which fit easily into a 1969 1300 Junior.

Cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This is the seat I'm thinking about.

If anyone feels like contacting the guy at Vintage Seats for me and giving him my email address it would save me an international phone call. (only if you have an interest yourself)

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Andy

Those are some very sweet looking seats there…..

Very period looking and yet would offer more ‘bucket-like’ sideways support than the original Alfa seats…..

Just make sure you check out their dimensions as the drive tunnel in GTV's don't go down the centre of the car and one side (the right hand side) may be a bit tight.....

If you get any info from them make sure to post it.... I'd be very interested to know....

edit - ouch.... just noticed the price.... still they look very nice

·
Registered
256 Posts
Non-symetrical stock seat mounts?

In reply to Andy's comment regarding the driveshaft tunnel not going down the center of the car...

I've just fitted a set of BMW Recaro-style seats in my '74 GTV (the stock ones were worn, and the color on these matches my interior), and carefully modified the seat mounts to line up with the chassis mounts. Now the left and right seats don't fit symetrically in the car; the passenger seat ends up further outboard than the driver's seat.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Are the stock seat mounting points on the floor pan made asymetrical? Do the stock seats have different offset mounting holes for left and right side? Or did I just do a poor job of measuring?

George

·
Super Moderator
11,212 Posts
gattia86:

You have sort of answered your own question - yes, the L & R floorpans are different. The tunnel is biased toward the passenger side, leaving more room for the driver than for the passenger (at least in a LHD car). So yes, you can go nuts trying to get the passenger seat to fit into the narrower space. And, just when you believe it fits, and weld everything up, you find that the inner door pull/armrest interferes with the passenger seat when it is tilted forward.

Hint - you can notch the tunnel to provide space to shift the passenger seat mounts toward the car's midline. The tunnel is way wider than it needs to be.

Of course, a lot of different seats were used across the lifespan of the GTV series, and I'm not familiar with all of them. However, I believe that driver and passenger seats are the same (e.g., Alfa didn't make the pass. seat narrower), with the same bolt pattern at the bases. Of course, the location of the adjusters make the L & R seats different.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK...
On closer inspection, the left and right seat mounting tabs on the floor pans have identical spacing, but they're all moved 1 1/2" closer to the rocker panel on the passenger side. The gap to the trans tunnel is the same on both driver's and passenger's sides.

The end result is, my non-standard seats, with symetrical slider/adjuster mechanisms attached, sit in different relation to the centerline of the car.

This was not readilly visible with the stock, sagging low-back seats... but with the bulkier, more, uh... erect BMW seats, you can see from outside the car that the passenger seat almost rubs against the door/B-pillar. This really bugs me.

I'll have to re-do the passenger side slider mounts to move the seat 1 1/2" inboard, which should make the seats symetrical in relation to the centerline of the car. Unfortunately, this will make the passenger seat snug up against the driveshaft tunnel, which will look funny from *inside* the car. Which will bug me, too.

So... careful when mounting aftermarket seats, and decide which kind of a-symetry will bug you less.

·
Registered
256 Posts
BMW E30 Sport seats in GTV

And for the curious, here are a few pics of the BMW seats in my '74 GTV 2000. They're out of a late '80s BMW 325is or 318is, and required minimal mods to the stock BMW sliders to mount to the original Alfa floor tabs.

I know, I know... I much prefer period-correct buckets or nice stock seats, but my stock ones were tired, nice seats are $1400 a set, and these are readily available at the salveage yard. Plus, the color matches my interior, and they have a very European period-correct-ish perforated vinly covering.

I'm also a bit embarassed by the state of my project car, after seeing all the professional restoration jobs on the BB. So no snickering!

George

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks RP.

Those seatbelt receivers you see in the pics come bolted to the BMW seats. I've since removed them, and am using a set of vintage, "period correct", 3-point, non-retracting belts out of a mid-60's Volvo 122 (they use the same style chrome latch and anchor bar on the transmission tunnel as mid-60's Alfas, and mount at the stock locations).

Those belts looked right at home with the all-original seats and interior, but clash a bit with the modern seats.

I'll have to take a closer look at the belt mounting and retracting spool on the E30 BMW, and see if I can mount them in the GTV. I'm thinking the belts on a 3-series convertable might work, since the shoulder belt mounts below the window line, unlike the 3-series coupes where it mounts on the B-pillar. But... they might look to garrish and modern. I'll investigate at the junkyard this weekend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some time ago I put the "ST" model seats (as seen in vintage seats) in my car. I took the sliders of the original seats and mounted them on the new seats without any problems. The only problem is how to mount the seat back in the car. To get to the bolts that hold the back of the sliders you have to slide the seat forward but then it will hit the tunnel. It took me about an hour of fiddling to get them in.

I also tried the Nurburgring model seats but these are very narrow. That's nice it you are an 5'4, 120 pound, Italian racing driver but I'm a bit bigger.. :D

Some pictures of the original seats and the new ST seats: http://www.thesimp.org/Bertone_seats/thumb.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are nice seats - the Silverstone or Nurburgring model then.

They are also less pricy and look period and best of all - they do fit.
Sweet samples. I like these. I went to the website but its not in english. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure how I will go getting them to Oz.

I'll keep trying on the net.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts