Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing to replace at least the foam, covers, and pan for the seats in my 85 graduate. Since I will have so much invested I am leaning it might be easier to just replace the entire seat. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up a pair of seats from an Alfa or if anyone has put in some after market seats in their cars that have been serviceable? I want good seats that can ideally bolt in. I also need to figure out how to remove the current seats when the bolts are so rusted so if anyone has advice there it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You ALL!!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't help with the seat sourcing part of the question, but I can suggest using a good penetrating oil on the rusted seat rail bolts. Spray some on each bolt and let sit overnight. You may even do that a couple times in a row, and then try them. I've used PB Blaster with great results, but there are many other types out there.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Welcome aboard Flat. Removing seats can be trying, I have heard of the bolts/screws being soo rusted the bolts or screws require cutting the heads off and drilling/tapping new threads. Look around, there are used seats here and there, but if you are a diy guy and your seat pans are not too bad they can be rebuilt. Best of luck and don't be bashful about asking for advice here, the guys and gals on this board are most helpful

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
227 Posts
you can find replacement foam and seat covers on any of the main websites - I just got bottom foam and covers from ClassicAlfa and they're good quality. my seat pans just had a little surface rust so scraped and painted it. If you can reuse anything, id suggest reusing if not then check the main suppliers, centerline, classicalfa, vickauto.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well mine are rusted through, the sliders are stuck even after I have been spraying them with penetrating oil for a while, and I just want to get new parts as I can. I found the sliders at Corbeau for $125 a side and have saved that. I will try to find just some bottom parts of the seats because I may be able to reuse the back portion, and I thank you for the idea to drill out the bolts. Does anyone have any advice on how to do that or would it be safer to find someone to hire to do that for me? I can save up the funds needed, but I have extra time on my hands at this point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually had the same issue with the rusty seats and just used a hand drill and drilled in the middle of the screw head. It didn't take long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are 4 screws right? And these will remove the sliders as well? Can anyone help me find the back screws? I can bend the pan enough to see the front ones but the back ones I have no clue where to look.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The screws holding the seats down are phillips head screws. They are on my 86 anyway. If they're a bit stripped, try these ideas. First, use a small ratchet wrench w a socket and phillips bit. You can apply downward pressure on the wrench/socket with one hand and turn the wrench w the other. If the screw is a bit wobbled/stripped out, dip the screw bit in scouring powder like comet. Even dab a little into the screw head slots. The powder gives extra grip on stripped out screws. Sounds silly, but I can verify that it works. Lastly, if the screw is stripped beyond hope, use a hacksaw, or the blade only if you cant fit the whole saw in there and cut a single slot across the head. You could also use a dremmel tool and cutting disc. Once you cut the slot across, you now have a flat head/slotted screw to work with. Try the ratchet and screwdriver tip again w a slotted tip. I've probably removed/installed 100k screws on helicopters when I was in the Army. I don't recall ever having to drill one out. The above tips should do the trick. When cutting the slots, don't be afraid to cut them deep so you can get a flat tipped bit in there good. Worst case, you cut too deep and the head comes off. Either way, problem solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't slide the seats at all. They are too rusted. I will keep trying. They are not stripped (yet) I just have no been able to move them at all, using large screwdrivers, and PH3 heads in sockets with breaker bars and all the force I can muster. They keep trying to jump and I stop before I have stripped anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once you're able to move the seat, place as large a screwdriver that will fit in the screw head and give the screwdriver a good whack w a mallet/hammer. Don't use your favorite screwdriver as it may get damaged The shock may free up the rust holding the screw in place. Also, try tightening the screw just a bit. For some reason, when stuck they tend to tighten more readily than loosen. This will also free the screw to help remove it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the drivers seat, I have tried several sprayings of penetrating oil, and used a hammer to get it sliding an inch each way, and one of the two front bolts out. The second one ended up stripping. I will take a shot at cutting a slit in it but does anyone know the distance to the rear screws? I expect to need to drill our cut to them on ar least the passenger seat at least.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The seats should (should) slide forward enough that when you tilt the seat back forward, you will have just enough room to get a screwdriver on it. Sounds like your tracks are really stuck. No magic trick that I know of for that except oil and persistence. Sit in the seat if you haven't already and use your legs to push back on the seat. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The passenger seat has evem more rust, so it is probably even more stuck. I will continue to use oil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are the pans shot or salvageable? If they're shot, use a saws all to cut them away to get access to the screws. I hate to ruin something that can be reused. Dollars can add up quickly by not refurbishing and reusing. Try to save the tracks at least. Once removed you'll have clear access to clean and grease them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan to just replace them. The drivers side has one large hole in the back, and a few smaller holes in the front. The passenger side has almost the entire back missing. They may have been salvagable to someone better than me, but I will replace the pans. I will see what work I can do to the sliders to save them, but found new ones that claim to fit the car for $125 each if I give up.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts