Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aftermarket shoulder belts on my 73 GTV--on the car when I bought it--that I hate.

Is someone out there delighted, overjoyed, with their 3-point retracting aftermarket belts? If so could you send a picture or two and let me know where you got the things?

Although less crucial, I'd also like to replace and remount the rear seat belts, even if I never use them.

Thanks.
RK

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've got a set of TRW retractors in my BMW 2002 that came out of an Alfasud. Here in Australia you can get belts like that at most good autoparts stores. The TRWs look good in the car, work well and dont lock annoyingly all the time.

Having said that, I dont know that they would look terrific in the GTV.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
You may not like any of the seat belts that mount on the rear quarter panels. Most will not retract fully from that position, always leaving the belt loose on the side of the seat. I have used a rear set from a Milano that work fine, but there is no cover on the spool, but they are Klippens marked for Alfas (available). Here are a couple of other sources:
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/
http://www.andoauto.com/seat_belts.htm
http://store.gotbelts.com/lapacshbe.html
There are others, but these give you several choices in receivers and buckles.

Safety first!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I'm very happy with the retracting set I bought from Ereminas Imports in Connecticut. The center receiver is on a pretty stiff stalk, so there's no fumbling to find it. The retracting mechanism is at the lower outboard mounting point, out of the way. It fits perfectly in my '73 GTV.

Don Ereminas has been selling Alfa parts for many years, but he doesn't do internet. He advertises in the back of Alfa Owner every month and a quick googling shows a phone number of (860) 496-9800.

Call him. You'll be happy with the result, i think.

-df

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes, I'm very happy with the retracting set I bought from Ereminas Imports in Connecticut. The center receiver is on a pretty stiff stalk, so there's no fumbling to find it. The retracting mechanism is at the lower outboard mounting point, out of the way. It fits perfectly in my '73 GTV.

Don Ereminas has been selling Alfa parts for many years, but he doesn't do internet. He advertises in the back of Alfa Owner every month and a quick googling shows a phone number of (860) 496-9800.

Call him. You'll be happy with the result, i think.

-df
Ditto on Don. I have his belts in my GTV and they fit well and look period.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Can someone be :) nice enough to provide photos of Don Ereminas's seat belts mounted in a GTV? Does it have an Alfa logo on the buckle?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:cool:Thanks for the reply (more than I can say for anyone else:rolleyes:;)) but my bucket exploded:confused:. Yup, my wife did it. Can I tell you the time she broke an anvil:). That being the case, I think I now want to opt for some new stuff. 35 year old retractors and webbing really don't sound too safe.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Picked up from NWARC website

These look pretty good to me. Check out the Schroth website or NWARC

4 point Harness. The Schroth harness with ASM Technology is the ONLY 4 point restraint system approved for NWARC track events. There are two main reasons why we allow the Schroth Belts. ASM technology and the ability to install the belts to stock harness mounting locations. ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Seat belts GTV 115

Would any of you gents with seat belts from Don post a couple pictures? I just received a set and they have 3 mounting bolts on the reel side. My original set in my 72 GTV have 2 mounting bolts. They look like nice belts, I'm just not sure where to drill another hole. I just installed new carpets etc and hate like heck to be cutting anything up!

Photo attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
Would any of you gents with seat belts from Don post a couple pictures? I just received a set and they have 3 mounting bolts on the reel side. My original set in my 72 GTV have 2 mounting bolts.
Your message didn't indicate where the two mounting points are for your original set of belts.

The new belts in your photo are pretty standard: a bolt to hold the reel, one for the "pulley", and one for the fixed end. I'm guessing that your original set didn't have what I'm calling the "pulley". So where was the reel mounted? You want it up pretty high.

Here's a photo from my GT. The attachment points were put in when the car was in the bodyshop. The rear ashtray was deleted to provide space for the mount for the "pulley":

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
johndewaele - isn't that upside down? I have the same seatbelts in my car, made by Securon (see www.securon.co.uk/seatbelts_layouts.htm), and the retractor mounts at the top. It is made so it can be positioned at any angle - there are adjusters on the reel to allow it to work any angle.

Here's a digram from the Securon website that shows how mine are fixed...

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Would any of you gents with seat belts from Don post a couple pictures? I just received a set and they have 3 mounting bolts on the reel side. My original set in my 72 GTV have 2 mounting bolts. They look like nice belts, I'm just not sure where to drill another hole. I just installed new carpets etc and hate like heck to be cutting anything up!

Photo attached.

Thanks!
I just installed a set of Securon belts like in your photo, only needed 2 mounting holes. One near the floor behind the seat and
the other on the rear door card. Seemed like the retractor needed to be on the floor, instructions said it had to be in a vertical position to work properly. Looks better mounted that way too, it's out of sight. Wish the retractor had a full cover though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
Here is a photo showing my install. Look OK?
It looks OK, yes. But how smoothly does the belt retract from the roller and how consistently does the roller grip the belt under shock loads? My question is whether that fold the belt needs to take between the roller and pulley in any way inhibits the operation of the roller. It's probably fine - just asking.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
The belt extends freely and retracts nicely as well. I;m really not thrilled with the way one belt overlaps the other; your point exactly.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yes, when retracted, the fixed end of the strap mounts outboard to the reeled end, so they cross over. But it looks like you have an extra half twist between the reel and the upper mount. It doesn't effect the functionality, but it might look neater without it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts