Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This morning when I got into my 91 Spider I went to put on my seatbelt.... it wouldn't move. :( It is stuck in its fully retracted position. I tried pulling lightly and tuggng on it but it won't budge. It's like it is stuck in a locked position.:mad:

I'm believe these are the original belts

Any suggestions on what I should check out?:confused:

Thx

Michael

·
Registered
71 Posts
Michael,
I have had this problem happen from time to time with my '91 Spider also. What I have learned (the hard way) is to s-l-o-w-l-y bring the belt across your body to the lock. However, my wife insists on jerking the belt across her and the belt locks up at that point. I have found that the best thing to do then is to raise the shelf in the back and try releasing the belt by "rocking" the inertia reel back and forth with your hand. It takes a couple of times doing this, but eventually it frees up.

Good luck. This is another "character" issue these Spiders have.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another quirk :)

Hi Jim,

Thanks.... I'll try this solution for this "quirk" :D

When you say "the shelf" ....are you talking about the trim / material behind the seats? I see two screws near the back of it. Is this what I need to remove to access the reel?

Thx

Michael

·
Registered
109 Posts
My '85 does this too, I'm thinking of putting some kind of safety pin near the reel when it is out the proper distance to keep it out.

Mike

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I see two screws near the back of it.
Look under the velcro carpet flap right behind the seats and you'll find 2-4 more screws.

All those out plus the 2 you see in back and the whole panel will lift out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The retracting mechanism needs a good oiling. Use a good spray lubricant as WD-40 will only work for a brief period of time. as per tifosi you need to remove the shelf. I removed the assembly (two bolds) to spray the mechanism. Do not be sloppy, keep thew spray off the belt itself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved! Thanks

Hi Gang,

Thanks for the info. I took out the rear shelf and massaged the seatbelt retractor and voila!.... The seatbelt is operational again.
:D
Your feedback was appreciated. You helped me learn more about my car.... quirks and all.

Michael

P.S. What is a good lubicant to use to lubricate the seatbelt retractor as WD-40 is not recommended by many on this board?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
WD-40 = water displacement formula 40: it cleans and disperses water, but actually ends up making rust and corrosion before too long all on it's own.

I'm fond of the silicone, lithium or teflon based sprays in 'thin' (just spray) or 'thick' (kind of a foamy or filmy residue left behind) myself.

On the belt mechs, I've used lithium a few years ago, but haven't had to since so can't tell you how long it'll last :)

·
Registered
what part?
10,146 Posts
just incase this happens agian... have your wife just 'duct(duck) tape you to the seat:):)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts