Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working for weeks to get all the electrical on my 84 spider back to normal. The direction I've gotten from everyone here has been incredible. My last challenge is the seatbelt warning light/buzzer. I've studied the wiring diagram and I've tested the circuits. Here's what I know:

-There is no juice to the warning light and no voltage at the buzzer.
-There is juice getting to the seatbelt device (line 2 - brown), but nothing coming out (line 2 - red)
-The ground at the seatbelt is good and grounds at the light, buzzer, and seatbelt device are solid.

I guess I just don't understand how the circuit works. Is the line (2-red) out of the seatbelt device only live if the ground is closed at the seatbelt (white line), or should I assume the seatbelt device circuit board is bad? If the buzzer is bad, I assume it would not interrupt flow to the light since the split prior? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Ty

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I had the same problem on my '88 Quad. I spent a lot of time getting every lamp and electrical device on the car functioning only to get stymied by the seat belt buzzer. Many people told me "Why would you want that annoying thing working anyway?", but to me it was just the challenge of getting it to work as designed. During my investigation I tried to locate the "seat belt device" which, according to the shop manual, should have been somewhere up behind the glovebox near the A/C unit, but I was unable to find it after removing both the glovebox and knee bolster so I eventually gave up. I thought the buzzer itself was attached to the steering column housing, but I never was determined to tear enough of the dash apart to verify that location and test it. I will now follow this thread in hope that the experts can provide some insight.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Ironic, our 1985 spider was a victim of the hurricane Sandy flood surge in New York City in 2012. I mostly rebuilt the entire car and when I energized the electrical system for the first time, the door buzzer worked like a charm and still works great. However I am still chasing bad light sockets, grounds and other poor connections. Good luck with your chase, it is not that difficult, just eliminate the potential breaks in the circuit one by one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on my very last wiring issue (I think). I can get the seatbelt buzzer to work as it should, or if I bypass the buzzer, I can get the light to work as it should; but both won't work. I'm actually getting a hair over 10 volts at the light with the buzzer going, and there's an ever so faint glow to the bulb, but I can't get the full 12v and a bright light. I've checked and cleaned the connections, but no luck. I guess I'll take the light over the buzzer, but I want everything to work. Sigh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts