Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to reupholster the seats of my 90 Spider. I've received quotes from upholstery shops for both vinyl & leather that range from $1700. to $4200. !!
I also see leather & vinyl replacement upholstery listed from $750. to $1100. These would have to be installed, of course. One shop quoted me $900. for installation of the kit. Questions:
* Are any of the kits of excellent quality ?
* If so, what supplier ?
* How much should I expect to pay a shop for a complete job ?
* ALL suggestions will be appreciated. I'm surprised by the huge spread in prices & need help sorting through this.

Thank you, Rocket

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rocket,

I'll be able to answer most of your questions in a week or 2.

I ordered a kit off ebay for $400. Unfortunately when it arrived it was for Veloce style seats, not the seats in my Graduate. I called the supplier and they were very nice about it. They sent UPS to pick up the wrong seat covers and then will send me the correct ones. They are out West, and I am in the East, so each shipment takes a week.

The covers that they sent me looked to be very good quality (better than the OEM).

So once I get them I'll make a post with some photos.

I'm also working on adding lumbar support to my seats. This has been a big problem for me, as my back aches after 1/2 hour in the car. I think I've got a very good solution to that problem also, and if it works out as I hope I'll post it as well.

Stay tuned !!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I was quoted $250 to install new seat covers. Hard to find people to do that work anymore.

I just need the top part of the Veloce Recaros. The seams rotted. Guy said it wasn't worth fixing.

Curious to see what suggestions come up.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I have purchased Classic Alfa upholstery kits for S1 and S2 Spiders and a Giulia Super. The materials and workmanship were outstanding. Looks like S4 seat covers are about $250 USD per seat from them. I've installed them myself and I've had them installed professionally - go pro. My guy charges $110 per seat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just had my '73 Spider seats redone with a vinyl upholstery kit (forget who I got it from) and new seat bottom foam from IAP. The upholsterer was a guy that Dean Russell of Trail Auto in Dearborn Heights, MI has used many times in the past. Labor cost for the 2 seats was $380. They look fantastic.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If they are simply faded and not torn, you could also look into recoloring them with vinyl dye. Another option would be replacement with aftermarket seats from recaro/sparco if you are performance oriented and not a staunch originalist.

The vinyl dye will set you back $30 or so. Basic Sparcos can be had for about $400 a seat with brackets. $3,000 would get you pretty top of the line Recaros. Seems much more sane than paying $2,000+ to recover the originals.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I ordered a set like this off ebay from leatherseats.com:

Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce Sport Leather Seat Cover Replacement Upholstery | eBay

The workmanship was excellent and the materials were top notch. I chose this supplier because they offered gray leather with red stitching just like what came stock in the Quadrifoglio. They also had some better sets closer to $1,050, but I chose the $750/pair variety.

I purchased new foam seat pads at about $110-$130 each (can't remember exactly) and some used seat pans that I found that didn't have any rust or tears in the sheet metal since my pans were ripped where some of the nuts were welded.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of picking an auto upholstery shop on the basis of location alone (close to my home) to install the new seat covers. Big mistake!

The knuckleheads who did the work were 20-something kids with tattoos and piercings and they lost some of my hinge bolts and hardware. I had to search for, order and pay for used/replacement parts for the ones they lost! Then, even though the shop workers got the advantage of dis-assembling the old seats, they still couldn't figure out how the new ones were supposed to fit and go back together, so they ended up cutting slots in the metal of the seat pans to jerry-rig the fastener locations (without even asking if I would mind if they hacked up my stuff)! They also used sheet metal screws where the stock connections were done with rivets.

When they finally got the new covers on and called me in to pick the seats up, I discovered they had failed to create the visible "slot" in between the seat pad and the leg rest pad (like the original seats had). In desperation I just asked for my seats back, but I had to pay $650 before they would turn them over to me.

In hindsight, I probably should have asked my the local alfa romeo club for shop recommendations, or done the job myself. How difficult can it be, especially if you get to take the things apart yourself?

My advice, if you buy new seat covers and parts, make sure you do a lot of investigation into the right auto upholstery shop to do the install, or do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I was quoted $250 to install new seat covers. Hard to find people to do that work anymore
That is a very good labor quote if the person making the quote actually knows what he is talking aobut. The Alfa seats have heavy rubber bands which attach to the insides of the seat covers and go through the seat foam cushions and attach to the back side of the metal frame. This system is complicated and the rubber bands are usually broken. You have to replace them with minature elastic hold downs which can be found at Home Depot. You have to do a lot of improvising. If you don't get the bands or their elastic replacements correct, the seat covers will never be taunt and sharp looking. They will look loose and floppy. Paying a professional to do this installation CORRECTLY will make or break your reupolstery project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts