Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '86 Quad that I am looking to update the seats. The replacement leather upholstery kit for my year Quad is $1295 from Centerline. There doesn't appear to be a vinyl option in grey.

Replacement seat foam is $498 for the complete set (upper & lower - both seats) or $106ea for just the bottom.

For those that have been down this path.

Is it better to have purchase the upholstery already sewn for the seat and have a local car interior shop finish the job? Do you typically see a local shop fabricate the seat from scratch with good results?

Is it wise to replace the seat foam. My seat foam appears in good shape but wont know for sure until the seat is opened up.

Any other locations to source from besides Centerline that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Classicalfa has what your looking for. I have purchased seat skins from them and they fit very nice.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have an '86 Quad that I am looking to update the seats. The replacement leather upholstery kit for my year Quad is $1295 from Centerline. There doesn't appear to be a vinyl option in grey.

Replacement seat foam is $498 for the complete set (upper & lower - both seats) or $106ea for just the bottom.

For those that have been down this path.

Is it better to have purchase the upholstery already sewn for the seat and have a local car interior shop finish the job? Do you typically see a local shop fabricate the seat from scratch with good results?

Is it wise to replace the seat foam. My seat foam appears in good shape but wont know for sure until the seat is opened up.

Any other locations to source from besides Centerline that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Mike
Made from scratch or purchase covers depending on quality of the local Upholstery shop and cost. Yes on the seat foam. I have a 84 and my seat are very comfortable due to the new foam. When I purchased my Spider in 2014 the PO had the door cards, shifter boot, ebreak cover and the seats done at one time and the all match in color. They matched the dash, that is what makes the interior look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
New seat foams are firmer than what you're used to with sagging, aged seat bottoms, as you would expect.
I redid my duetto and am in the process of having my GTV seats restored.
Both of mine were original to my cars and were older than what you're working with.
I had to get adjusted to the firmer seats but I like them now that I'm used to them.
It made me realize how bad the old seats were! LOL
Nice upgrade now that I had it done.
I used local auto upholstery shops to do the fitting because I wanted it done once and done right.

·
Registered
578 Posts
New seat foams are firmer than what you're used to with sagging, aged seat bottoms, as you would expect.
I redid my duetto and am in the process of having my GTV seats restored.
Both of mine were original to my cars and were older than what you're working with.
I had to get adjusted to the firmer seats but I like them now that I'm used to them.
I made me realize how bad the old seats were! LOL
Nice upgrade now that I had it done.
I used local auto upholstery shops to do the fitting because I wanted it done once and done right.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just one last though - many people on this form have put in there own skins. Some did a great job and some had wrinkles in the corners. I have said before that having the interior looking it best is super important. This is where you spend most time with your Alfa!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Classicalfa has what your looking for. I have purchased seat skins from them and they fit very nice.

I haven't ordered from Classic Alfa before. I assume looking at their website they are overseas. How long does it take to receive items in the US ordered from them?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It depends if they have it in stock or not. I ordered seats for my Ti, took about 4 weeks. Items they have in stock take about 3 days to ship.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't ordered from Classic Alfa before. I assume looking at their website they are overseas. How long does it take to receive items in the US ordered from them?
I live in California and regularly order from Classic Alfa. For items in stock, both large and small orders are delivered in 4 days or less. By this I mean I place an order on their website on Sunday at say, 7 pm (PST) and the boxes with the parts inside are at my front door on Thursday of the same week. If I order an item or two that fit in an envelope or small box then I find in in my Mailbox on Tuesday or Wednesday. Okay, I did have to pick-up from a DHL shipping depot which is six miles from my house, nine boxes of parts that Classic Alfa shipped on a pallet. But they asked me if it was okay to do so.

The cost of shipping is less than what Centerline charges to ship ground the same items from Colorado to California. This is not Centerline's fault. There is an international shipping charge (tariff) agreement that makes it so. Also, for whatever reason, from the moment I place the order, it takes 3 to 7 days for the parts I order that are in stock from Centerline to get from Colorado to California.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I purchased seats from alfissimo.com.

Here is a useful thread to help locate a vendor:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just recovered my seats with Lseat.com leather covers ($300). I added 1/2" foam to existing foam, which was just about right. The covering process was slow - and not perfect, but I'm pleased overall.

IMG_8822.jpeg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Actually that is really not bad at all !! … and far better than I could achieve !!

I'd have to send mine out to the trimmers.

P

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for your help! 9 days after first posting, here is the result! ClassicAlfa was so easy to work with. I ended up choosing the vinyl seat option to save some $. It is a very close match to the original grey leather with red stitching. I consulted a local upholstery shop that indicated no need to purchase seat foam as they could add, modify the existing foam as necessary. The new seat covers arrived from Classic Alfa to Tennessee three days after ordering. The upholstery shop said the covers were very well constructed and easy to work with. Their total installation price (including additional foam) was $500. The car was ready for pickup in two days.

The seats are not far off the feel of original leather, look great and the additional of a bit of foam in the seat base has restored the seats to be very comfortable. I do have a few wrinkles that some DIY jobs have but overall I am very happy with the new look.
Alfa Seats.jpeg

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Thank you for your help! 9 days after first posting, here is the result! ClassicAlfa was so easy to work with. I ended up choosing the vinyl seat option to save some $. It is a very close match to the original grey leather with red stitching. I consulted a local upholstery shop that indicated no need to purchase seat foam as they could add, modify the existing foam as necessary. The new seat covers arrived from Classic Alfa to Tennessee three days after ordering. The upholstery shop said the covers were very well constructed and easy to work with. Their total installation price (including additional foam) was $500. The car was ready for pickup in two days.

The seats are not far off the feel of original leather, look great and the additional of a bit of foam in the seat base has restored the seats to be very comfortable. I do have a few wrinkles that some DIY jobs have but overall I am very happy with the new look. View attachment 1614984
Where did you get the floor mats?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts