Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still having electrical problems with my 86 Graduate. Removing the driver seat will allow me access to the dash wiring from underneath, but I don't know how to get it to come off the rails. It is with some shame that I come to the forum for help, but know the people here are a great bunch. Hopefully someone can explain it to me.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I removed my 85 seat and rails as a unit (several times and they are now in the 73). 2 bolts hold one rail to the floor near the door and 2 bolts on the drive shaft tunnel. You just need to slide the seat on the rails forward for the rear and rearwards for the front bolts. I imagine the 86 is the same. Can't remember without going to the barn and looking whether they were allen, torx or metric heads, but they go into captive threads and you may need to take some time with lots of short strokes due to a lack of access.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
they should be phillips screws. ( i like to use one of those hammer screw drivers to get them going, you put the phillips screw bit in the hammer part, a couple stricks, and the screw is looend, sometime/ most of the time, a reg. screwdriver will not start them out, rust, etc.). after you remove them.. replace them with allen head screws.. easyer in the future to remove.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The seat rails have a stop installed in the front of each runner (if they have not been removed already). I have never seen these stops because every Alfa Spider I have worked on has already had them removed and never replaced. Once these are out of the way, each runner is held in by 2 10 MM bolts. Some say they are Phillips headed but all I have seen are Metric Allens. You have to get the front stops out so that you can slide the seat far enough forward to expose the rear bolts. Remove these and then slide the seat back the maximum amount so you can acccess the front bolts. For your sake I hope they are Allens because once you have the correct Allen wrench, they are a lot easier to remove than Phillips. With all 4 bolts out the seat just lifts out unless there might be some kine of electrical hook up to the seat bottom for a warning device on the later models (I would not know about this, all the seats I have removed had NO weight sensors in them like my trusty Nissan trucks).

If the seats do not want to move on the runners due to rust and accumulated debris in the tracks, a short 2 X 4 behind the sear pan will do wonders toward persuading the seat to get a move on.

If you are real unlucky and the bolts don't want to unscrew, drill off the heads and remove the seat. Then use vice grip plyers to remove the (now) headless bolts.

I am attaching a photo of my meteric Allen wrench set(s). These are as handy as the latch on the outhouse door. Available at Harbor Tools and Sears tool depts.

Robert Hill in Memphis, Tn

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. Turns out rails are in fact secured with phillips heads. Fronts are accessible, rear ones are not. Hoped that the seat slid forward and right off the rails but stops are in place and not visible. Just did not seem it should be designed to be difficult.

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
use anti seize on the new 'allen' bolts when you re-instale the bolts..

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
1985 spider, I am unable to locate the "stops" mentioned previously. Some how I managed to remove the seats, now trying to reinstall I am having a difficult time accessing the rear screws. The seat will only move so much in the forward position and not allow access to the rear screws. Are the stops mentioned inside the runners?

thank you

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Eric,

Thank you for the speedy reply, forecast for today in Buffalo is sunny and 65 degrees. Some seat time is overdue.

thanks again, this board rocks

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
If you keep the front screws in place, you will be able to move the seat full forward,so you can get to the rear screws, but again, replace them with Allen bolts, and anti seize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts