Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I am considering doing mine in our S3. I like the covers from World Uph. I will probably go with their domestic vinyl.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ordered the leather kit from AutoBerry today. Will report back when it comes in!
I am considering installing the kit onto the foam myself, still researching.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Give it a shot. Worst case scenario, you get frustrated and end up paying someone to do the job. Just remember that doctors saying: first, do no harm.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I got my covers from Vick. I paid a local guy around $550 to replace my old covers. Picture shows the results. He says all the wrinkles will shrink up when I get it out in the sun. I think I got screwed, but I'll follow up in September. If I could do it all over again (and I just might have to), I'd go with World Upholstery and try to do it myself. Or figure out how to repair what I got.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looks like with the virus out break my schedule for free time on my car has way opened up. Starting this coming weekend I will have plenty of time to give the seats a shot myself!
Ive been reading threads on here on how to do it. Im currently out of town, my plan is to order all of the parts I need so that they will be at home waiting on me. Hog ring pliers and rings to go with it are a for sure.
It looks like I need springs, what size and how many? I do not have any amazing hardware stores in my neck of the woods, and come this weekend they may not even be open...trying to plan ahead here

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I will for sure have pictures.
But your seats are a little different than mine being a later series, keep that in mind

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey @jbbosco , those wrinkles you can prob fix yourself. If you take seat seats out, steam the wrinkles (watch youtube vids, thats what ive been doing), take the back of the seat off and pull it tighter.

Ive got all four of my cushions covered, now im pulling the wrinkles out. Next, hardware and assembly

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Hey @jbbosco , those wrinkles you can prob fix yourself. If you take seat seats out, steam the wrinkles (watch youtube vids, thats what ive been doing), take the back of the seat off and pull it tighter.

Ive got all four of my cushions covered, now im pulling the wrinkles out. Next, hardware and assembly
Thanks, I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Here are some before pics of my seats. The passenger seat tray was completely rusted out, and all of its rust dust was under the seat waiting to be cleaned out
IMG_6252.JPG IMG_6253.JPG IMG_6254.JPG IMG_6255.JPG IMG_6258.JPG IMG_6259.JPG

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Taking the seats apart was not too big of a job. It took some time because the screws in the seat tracks were rusted in and the screw holding the seat adjuster knob was less than thrilled about coming out.

Taking the seat bottom out was the easiest. The tabs that hold the cushion to the tray were long rusted to pieces, the cushion came out with zero effort. Because I had bought a new metal rack, new springs, new leather, and a new cushion-I took the old seat bottom and tossed it in the trash. I took pictures of it so I could see the template for assembly, but I didnt have any hardware to take from the bottom cushion except the green seat sensor thing.

The seat back was a little more intensive to remove but again not difficult. All of the rubber bands on the passenger seat were still in tact and stayed in tact when I took them off! The driver side was not as lucky but still most were intact.
To take the vinyl off the frame, remove the clips holding the cover to the metal, remove the rubber bands, the unscrew the hex screws on the side of the seat, to remove the side bracket you have to adjust the seat position so that you can see the big screw inside the bracket-unscrew that-for me it was rather difficult. Unscrew the big flat head on the seat tray. It should all pull apart when the screws are off, the left and right side are joined by a metal bar. You may need to pull on that to slide the bar loose.

Remove the headrest and the vinyl should work right off the frame!

IMG_6273.JPG IMG_6278.JPG IMG_6272.JPG IMG_6279.JPG IMG_6261.JPG IMG_6260.JPG

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To begin assembling the seat bottom, remove the wire from the old vinyl and clean it with some sandpaper.
Slide the metal wire through into the same tube of the new seat covering-make sure the wire is even on both sides.

Next flip the seat cover inside out and place the underside of the cover face up on top of the new cushion. Clip in the new springs on the wire to align with the given holes in the cushion. Flip back over and slide the cover onto the cushion.
I used a hook on one side and my hand on the other to pull the springs through the cushions holes, and clip them on the metal bracket.

When all of the springs are pulled through and sufficiently clipped on, I pulled and straightened out the cover on the cushion, steaming it along the way so that each and every wrinkle was pulled out to the best of my ability.
Next was the hog rings. I used a combo of hog rings and black staples(bent like hog rings). Very gently use the hog rings to attach the cover to the metal bracket, use several rings so that no one specific area has more stress on it than another-you really don't want the cover to tear!!

One all of the hog rings are on and the cover is pulled tight and wrinkle free, the seat bottom is done!
I know this sounds easy but the seat bottoms took me longer than the backing to complete.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The seat backing was not as difficult to recover. I did the same procedure with the wire and springs as the seat bottom, pulled the springs through to the frame, pulled the leather tight and steamed wrinkles out. I replaced the metal clips that held the leather to the frame and at that point the seat is basically recovered.

Though for the back, you have to puncture the holes for the hardware and head rests-make absolute sure the cover is on and adjusted like you want it before you start making screw holes in it.
I used a long screw driver from the bottom of the head rest tubes to puncture holes for the head rests to go back into. Similar procedure for the sides for the hardware (this is the easy part don't worry).

I do not have any pictures of howI put the seat together, it was not terribly difficult it just required maneuvering to make the hardware and metal bar line up.

IMG_6348.JPG IMG_7943.JPG IMG_6317.JPG IMG_6337.JPG IMG_6320.JPG IMG_6323.JPG

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Recovering the head rests were not crazy difficult. I removed the screw on the bottom, gently pried of the plastic frame piece, slid out the metal frame, and worked the vinyl off. I would say both of my old head rests vinyls are 100% reusable, they came off without a tear.
Installing the new was a bit more difficult. Do NOT over heat the head rests, one of mine shrank down with the heat and I will need to replace it later (but it works for now).
Heat the new leather carefully, pop in the foam and adjust, push in the metal frame, pull tight and fit the leather onto the metal teeth. Replace plastic piece and screw.

Heres a few more pictures of the old seat parts as well as the headrest coming apart
IMG_6360.JPG IMG_6357.JPG IMG_6378.JPG IMG_6373.JPG IMG_6355.JPG IMG_6351.JPG

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Completion!

They came out great, I am super satisfied with how they look. It was around a 30 hour job for me, over a four day period. I couldn't have done this in one weekend, but now that I have corona time I had a much more open week to take on this project.

It transformed the look of my car altogether. I couldn't get a decent picture of the seats in the car without a glare, the silver reflects around the black and just confuses my camera.

I will probably use them for a while then I may make some further adjustments. After driving the car yesterday some new wrinkles appeared (not severe, just not satisfactory), I want to get new vinyl for the back board of the seats and maybe one or two other little things.
One seat cushion looks crooked in the picture, but doesn't appear that way when looking at the seat-not sure how to take that but if need be I will adjust that later.

I will say, now that the seats are done, if I do go back and tighten the covers down or anything it would not be difficult. The worst part would be taking the seats out of the car.

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts