Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon looking under my seats, the the pans are completely rusted out. The components beneath the pan are also rusted and frozen in place (cant slide the seats). Recommendations on best way to go about getting all the replacement parts? Some prices I have seen seem pretty crazy just for the pan. I cant find the slider components anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
you need to slide the seats to get them out....maybe tackle that job first.
two screws (or allen head bolts) at the back which you see when seat is slid full forward....then slide it full back and two bolts at the front.

When it is out maybe you can rescue the seat rails (?) and just look for used pans? (ebay)

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
If you are interested in used parts, I have both seats/pans from my '76 Spider (converted to different seats). May also have the sliders, but will need to look.

Upon looking under my seats, the the pans are completely rusted out. The components beneath the pan are also rusted and frozen in place (cant slide the seats). Recommendations on best way to go about getting all the replacement parts? Some prices I have seen seem pretty crazy just for the pan. I cant find the slider components anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,370 Posts
As Dom says, the first thing to do is free the seat tracks. Take your time and be methodical about it. Once the tracks are free, and you can slide the seat forward and aft, it will be time to remove the screws holding the tracks to the floor of the car. This will require more patience and a methodical approach. You'll more than likely need to soak the screws with something like PB Blaster. Let the stuff work for you.

An impact driver like the one below is the best tool to use to get rusted screws to break loose.

A tool like this is the best tool to use as in using it, you don't tear the head of the screw up.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it took the better part of the day but I got them out. Thank you all for your responses and will respond via message for details on offers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Reactions: vbisbest

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
if you can remove the seat rails from the rust soak them in vinegar... that will clean them really well without damaging the steel

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Where in the USA are you located? Knowing that it might be easier to avoid some shipping costs.
Those are the rustiest I have seen but i am sure there are worse ones out there..maybe.
As mentioned, salvage and save what you can.
I may have some parts also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you try to save the rails, you will see that they are impossible to dismantle. As mentioned soak them in vinegar (the longer the better) in order to clean them from the rust and dried grease mess, if necessary use wire brushes and strong degreaser too. Mine were so rusted that I used electrolysis and got them to bare metal, then epoxy primer and 2part black paint ( the races and the bearings were packed in fresh new grease prior to painting). In Italy was just not possible to get new rails if not (maybe) for ridiculous prices such as 500 euros for the pair.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
500 euros a piece! Maybe we should go into business. I ship and you sell! :LOL:

Reactions: vbisbest

·
Registered
what part?
10,926 Posts
or......... you can adapt a set of rails off another car... look at the auto wreckers.. miata, 240-280 z cars. etc.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where in the USA are you located? Knowing that it might be easier to avoid some shipping costs.
Those are the rustiest I have seen but i am sure there are worse ones out there..maybe.
As mentioned, salvage and save what you can.
I may have some parts also.
I am in Georgia, thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can opine on this topic. My 69 Spider had pans that were weakened but not rendered useless. However, seats are a structure which need integrity in an accident or certainly during normal driving. So, I ordered pans from Classic Alfa as the seats that came out of my Giulietta Abnormale from a mid 70s spider were tossed ( rare for me to toss anything). The pans were ok with exception, the latching of the backrest to the seat bottom. All I can tell you is that their pans are unisex left to right and I had to remove the non- utilized post on one side and weld that knub to the side with the latching. I later studied the pans better and believe the pivot for the hinge is off by 1/2 inch as I recall. My solution worked but was a bit of work. I was satisfied with the end result as the seat did latch well. I believe in an accident there will be other areas of the car that will render me less functional !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts