Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we just got two (well had 3) 164s alfas at our salvage yard. One of them is up for sale (which I am really tempted to buy) and the other has a junk title and they won't sell it.

Both cars have really nice yellow leather seats. I want to take the front seats from the salvage car and put them in my jetta. Obviously its not a direct swap. FYI mk3 jetta seats are HORRIBLE, I am plagued with back problems from them. Which is one reason why I want the alfa seats, they are REALLY comfy and I can get them for $25 a pop.

Does anyone have any pics of the bottom side of the seats? I searched google a bit but couldn't find such a picture. I just wanna figure out what kind of bracketry I am going to have to come up with before I buy them.

I only ask because its pouring rain right now and I can't get out to the yard until monday.

Thanks a ton guy!

Edit:

Also, if anyone needs any parts let me know. I would be more than happy to get some deals goin :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
If I remember the VW seat mounts have a tri mount. There is one center rail in the front and two to the rear. This would make it very hard to mount an alfa seat in a veedub.

Paul

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
If I remember the VW seat mounts have a tri mount. There is one center rail in the front and two to the rear. This would make it very hard to mount an alfa seat in a veedub.

Paul
Won't work. Alfa's seats are all one unit as well. I think from memory the VW has rails mounted to the floor. I doubt the seats would fit as the Alfa are mounted higher to accommodate the motors and are mounted directly to the floor. I am also sure that the Alfa seats are much wider. I doubt you can fit them, there are plenty of MKIII's laying around for spares. I suggest buying a newer set of seats. Oiling them and call it day.

J

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually got a chance to go out and take some measurements today.

The reason I don't want VW seats, is because they suck. The original seats are the worst seats I have ever sat in, in a car. My main beef with them is there is NO lumbar support to speak of, not just having an adjustment, but the seats actually dip backwards away from your back which is really messing up my all ready messed up back. In addition the craftsmanship and design is very poor, they fall apart literally. I am on my 3rd drive seat and they keep breaking and one side will sink down, so you always sit at and angle and crooked in the seat.

Anyways, There is 20 inches between the rails in the VW seats. And on the alfa seats including the width of the rails it is also exactly 20 inches. The floor pan is actually very similar too. Where the alfas mount up front it is raised up maybe 3 inches or so (I didn't measure this too good) the VW is about 2 inches. I measured the height from the floor to the electric motor that you guys say sits low, I have about an inch of room before it would touch the floor.

Just ball parking I think they will fit in without too much trouble actually. True yes the VW is a tri mount, which is another one of its downfalls. It relies on plastic sliders to keep the seats in the rails, which frequently break or fall off making the seat wobbly and more crooked. The alfa seat should fit right in between all the rails without a problem. I could then weld up a bracket to mount the 4 bolts down to the VW floor pan. Worst comes to worse I would have to raise the rails up an inch maybe so the electric motors will clear the floor.

I just thought of this now and I need to take more measurements. But I need to see how much room is between the seat and the bottom of my steering wheel. Plus how much hight there will be between the bottom seat cushion and the roof. This whole thing would be useless if I couldn't get in the car lol, and I am 6'2" so if its too high and I can't fit in thats no good either.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I actually got a chance to go out and take some measurements today.

The reason I don't want VW seats, is because they suck. The original seats are the worst seats I have ever sat in, in a car. My main beef with them is there is NO lumbar support to speak of, not just having an adjustment, but the seats actually dip backwards away from your back which is really messing up my all ready messed up back. In addition the craftsmanship and design is very poor, they fall apart literally. I am on my 3rd drive seat and they keep breaking and one side will sink down, so you always sit at and angle and crooked in the seat.

Anyways, There is 20 inches between the rails in the VW seats. And on the alfa seats including the width of the rails it is also exactly 20 inches. The floor pan is actually very similar too. Where the alfas mount up front it is raised up maybe 3 inches or so (I didn't measure this too good) the VW is about 2 inches. I measured the height from the floor to the electric motor that you guys say sits low, I have about an inch of room before it would touch the floor.

Just ball parking I think they will fit in without too much trouble actually. True yes the VW is a tri mount, which is another one of its downfalls. It relies on plastic sliders to keep the seats in the rails, which frequently break or fall off making the seat wobbly and more crooked. The alfa seat should fit right in between all the rails without a problem. I could then weld up a bracket to mount the 4 bolts down to the VW floor pan. Worst comes to worse I would have to raise the rails up an inch maybe so the electric motors will clear the floor.

I just thought of this now and I need to take more measurements. But I need to see how much room is between the seat and the bottom of my steering wheel. Plus how much hight there will be between the bottom seat cushion and the roof. This whole thing would be useless if I couldn't get in the car lol, and I am 6'2" so if its too high and I can't fit in thats no good either.

Thanks for the help!

Buy the Alfa and then you don't have to worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts