Alfa Romeo Forums banner

seat bolts

5K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  0die 
#1 ·
Anyone out there know whereI can get a set of bolts which hold the seat rail to the floor? I know they are 8mmx1.25 but I have not been able to find ones with a small enough head to fit in the rails.

#2 ·
69roundtail said:
Anyone out there know whereI can get a set of bolts which hold the seat rail to the floor? I know they are 8mmx1.25 but I have not been able to find ones with a small enough head to fit in the rails.
A good hardware store will have them with an allen head, that's how they fit in the rail.

#25 ·
My 69 seats currently removed. If it helps, I measure the diameter of the top of the socket cap screw at 12 mm.

#9 ·
69roundtail said:
"unobtainium" is that what the dual circut master cylinder of the 69 spyder made of?
Well, there's "absolute unobtainium" and then there's "near unobtainium". Must have something to do with valence electrons. The 69 dual circuit master cylinders will soon make the molecular shift from near to absolute.

If the bolt places don't pan out or if they have a $50.00 minimum, I can scare up four allen socket head bolts from the 74 Berlina I just parted out. $10.00 including shipping if you live in the U.S.

Bill Sinclair

#10 ·
I think the originals are a "buttonhead" design. The ones commonly available in that thread size are "cheesehead," which are much too large a head. Nor can they be ground down because the phillips cut in the head would be damaged too badly.

Try the allen wrench type bolts, but you might need to grind some off the top to clear the sliders. Or you can get a regular hex head bolt, grind it round and cut a slot in the top (much work, btw).

On your original bolts, if you still have them, be sure to use the correct sized phillips head screwdriver (it takes a big one) or you can bugger the corroded metal on the head. When reinstalling the bolts, be sure to use some anti-seize compound to they don't corrode and seize in the capture nuts.

#18 ·
haus said:
...they found some at Lowe's, believe it or not...
Lowe's has a surprisingly good selection of metric hardware. I live in a city with a half-million population and the largest import-car parts house can't hold a candle to Lowe's when it comes to metric nuts and bolts!

#23 ·
What you all are talking about are SHCS (socket head cap screws) the original is M8 x 1.25 taking a 6 mm allen key and are in a couple of lengths depending on whether spacers are used under the seat rails to raise seat. Originals are usually coated black oxide. The outside dametetr of the head of the cap screw is 13 mm. I found 3 lengths in my parts, 17.5 mm, 27.3 mm and 37.6 mm all thread lengths. I found 2 spacers, 9mm and 14 mm thick.

If you find too big a head turn it down in a lathe protecting the threads with aluminum or maybe just force it through as there is a wider space below I believe. I have seen the long screw used inappropriately and driven through the floor pan.

Ciao

ken

Games

#29 ·
what size spacers go where? When I removed the seat I found some spacers later stuck to the carpets. I have no clue which size spacers went where and which positions had none. Or are they only used to "tailor" the seat angle to personal preference if needed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.