Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am getting really annoyed with the after market seat belts I got from the usual large UK vendor, they are just so poor compared to pretty much any production car I've been in the last 20 years.

I would really like to simply buy some second hand belts from a production car and would really like to hear from anyone who has done this and what make/model car they sourced the belts from. I understand one would need to disable the explosive pin or at least isolate it for later models.

Thank you.

Andrew.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
For several years, the safety belts have been integrated to interior design. They cannot be used in an older car without showing all of their private bits. Worse, many modern retractors will only work in a precise orientation; if you install them in another direction, they will never lock.

Where I live, modifying a seat belt would be illegal.

I'm afraid there are no options other than sourcing adequate new belts sold as a replacement for old cars, unless you can find a stash of NOS belts somewhere.

I used a pair of bels from Classic Alfa in my GTV, but that goes a few years back. Perhaps sources are drying up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worse, many modern retractors will only work in a precise orientation; if you install them in another direction, they will never lock.
Indeed, which is why I asked the question, in the old days you could walk into a breakers yard and just look around. In the UK they no longer allow this.

I used a pair of bels from Classic Alfa in my GTV, but that goes a few years back. Perhaps sources are drying up.
I really don't like them, they freeze up very frequently and the plastic is just a bit too cheap.

Cheers.

Andrew.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I just checked the net for some of the largest belt makers. Klippan, the original safety belt manufacturer in Finland, seems to still make aftermarket seat belts. They give this as a UK distributor:

Beams, another major seat belt maker, is distributed by Moss.

I once used no-name seat belts bought from CIP1, a large VW parts supplier on this side of the pond. They had a vintage style, but were clearly made in China. I replaced them with the Securon belts from Classic Alfa, which have been OK so far. Made in 2014.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the net for some of the largest belt makers. Klippan, the original safety belt manufacturer in Finland, seems to still make aftermarket seat belts. They give this as a UK distributor:
Very kind of you, I have emailed Klippan and lets see what they say, one thing, what do you call the arms that carry the belt forward? See picture circled in red.
3P_turvav.jpg

I replaced them with the Securon belts from Classic Alfa, which have been OK so far. Made in 2014.
I have Securon ones and I do not like them. One keeps on locking up and they twist in their runner quite easily. Need them to be much easier to use especially as I am using the car every day including carrying children with 0.001s attention span and even less patience!

Cheers.

Andrew.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I need to check what mine are, they don't lock up but they barely retract and I find that super annoying since it means i always have passenger side seatbelts fluttering with the wind or my seatbelts sticking out after closing the door.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced mine some years ago with belts from a german trader (Bertelsbeck, OKP?) and the work fine.
Check the correct installation of the belts.
Alfa BB technical forums "seatbelts"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I replaced mine some years ago with belts from a german trader (Bertelsbeck, OKP?) and the work fine.
Check the correct installation of the belts.
Alfa BB technical forums "seatbelts"
Will do, thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,558 Posts
At least you are able to install belts without too much trouble, lol. My 64 Sprint GT, 6th production one built, had no provisions for belts at all. IIRC, I had to drill mounting holes in the floor, using underside reinforcing plates, in order to install simple 'pull the strap to tighten' seat belts in the car. BTW, also came with no outside rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least you are able to install belts without too much trouble, lol. My 64 Sprint GT, 6th production one built, had no provisions for belts at all. IIRC, I had to drill mounting holes in the floor, using underside reinforcing plates, in order to install simple 'pull the strap to tighten' seat belts in the car. BTW, also came with no outside rear view mirrors.
Small blessings! I'm currently trying 2005 VW Polo belts, a tenner on eBay!

BTW my 1969 has no rear view mirrors and I drive it every day so don't stress, having said that I line in East London and even a blind donkey is a better driver than most!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts