Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the car is a daily driver often ferrying grumpy wet and muddy kids I need belts to be safe but work properly as well.

I currently have the usual Securon ones and I found them very difficult, they twist often in the passing ring, they won't retract and lock too easily.

I decided to start with some 2002-2005 VW Polo items I found on FleaBay for a tenner. Also the position on the floor adds to the issues. Here I have attached it another structural member, but eventually I would look to add a reinforcement plate. The belt tensioner has a horizontal lip which stops the unit rotating, really nice find.

The rubber grab handle is of great use, especially as the passenger seat is quite forward to accommodate my little one in the rear seat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whilst the location of the spool looks to work pretty well, it indeed needs a substantial reinforcement plate as that area is very flimsy and not structural at all. Given an impact hard enough to make the seatbelts useful, it would definitely rip that entire bit of sheet metal outta there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whilst the location of the spool looks to work pretty well, it indeed needs a substantial reinforcement plate as that area is very flimsy and not structural at all. Given an impact hard enough to make the seatbelts useful, it would definitely rip that entire bit of sheet metal outta there.
That is good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
220 Posts
What is that strange 'handle'? I would never suggest using a used seat belt as lives are too precious. Where kids are concerned get the best you can. I have a new three point lap-sash/es in the rear sides.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is that strange 'handle'? I would never suggest using a used seat belt as lives are too precious. Where kids are concerned get the best you can. I have a new three point lap-sash/es in the rear sides.
Its just a handle to pull the seatbelt closer, so you don't need to do yoga to get hold of it.

With regard to seat belts I hear your point, my issue is that a £30 new Securon seatbelt is unlikely to be better quality than a 15yr old VW OEM one which costs several hundred when new and has passed every test under the sun. I too have the 3 point ones for the rear, just not figured out how I want to fit them yet.

Cheers.

Andrew.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
220 Posts
Actually a new belt will have the tensile strength that it is designed for and the old one no longer. They deteriorate over time and with constant use. If a belt was ever used in an accident it should always be discarded as the webbing has stretched. If you use a recycled belt in this country, your insurance is voided in any accident.

Safety regulations can be crazy however, as multiple-point, full race harness is not allowed in our street cars. You must have 3-point inertia reel belts. Alternatively if you have the original seat belts in an old car (including 'lap' only), they can be used. Makes no sense.

What happens to the handle when you are wearing the belt?

·
Registered
536 Posts
This is something I fabricated to solve that "reach back and find the belt" we all fight with in some cars.
Works pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts