Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seat belts are the next item up for repair in my Duetto. PO had installed inertial reel lap belts in the car. They are not anchored in the original locations- just to the floor panels with huge fender washers. Not only is this not as strong as I would like, the belts are crap. I'd like to put in something either OEM, or looking like OEM into the original mount points. From under the car, I can see where the belts mount on the Prop shaft tunnel. From another thread, I found should belt mounts in the rear, under "the drape" (and the top cover)- still not sure how the shoulder belt comes out from under all that...fool with it when I have it in hand.

Where are the attachment points for the lap belts on the outside (sills)? My car has a very nice carpet installed (the original restorer of the car saw it at the Geneva Motor Show in '66, and did the restoration to match what he remembered the car looking like), and I really don't want to poke more holes than I need to to locate the mounting point. One thread mentioned the following site having the OEM belts: Re-Originals, Inc. - Restoration Headquarters They aren't giving those away, although for a decent belt, I'm OK with the coin (I guess... anyone selling some at a better price?). Is there another option that isn't of dubious quality that other know of, perhaps inertial reel. I'd prefer something not made in an undisclosed factory in China for this sort of item, for obvious reasons!

BTW, the seats are the originals without head rests, although I would still like shoulder belts as opposed to just the lap belts.

Brad

·
Registered
83 Posts
Go to Seat Belt Solutions.
Made in the USA.
Great web site.
They can repair seat belts .
866-904-2358 ask for Carlos.
Good luck, they are in Florida.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Happy to take some pics of my Duetto if you want, it's upside down and inside out at the moment so easy to see and photograph the mounts.

From memory all the transmission tunnel seatbelt mounts are reinforced with an additional large (10cm long?) piece of angled steel, multiple spot welds, connecting the tunnel to the floor. On the GT/GTV the seat floor pan mount is also reinforced with quite thick steel underneath.

The lower seat belt mount is bolted to the inner sill, not sure about the top mount but will have a looksie when the sun comes back up. Or here, an older picture... Removing the floors for better access is optional and a bit extreme :)

** Seat belts are strong enough to lift the car without drivetrain :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
I'd like to put in something either OEM, or looking like OEM into the original mount points. ...... From another thread, I found should belt mounts in the rear, under "the drape" (and the top cover)- still not sure how the shoulder belt comes out from under all that.
OEM shoulder belts in a Duetto? I don't think so - shoulder belts were about a decade away when your Duetto was built.

When shoulder belts were federally mandated, Alfa came up with a way of retrofitting them to spiders which involved reinforced seat frames that carry the horizontal loads. Without those heavy seats, it is tough to anchor the shoulder harness high enough to work properly, but still allow you to fold down the convertible top. Adding a roll bar provides a solid, high anchor for the belts, but unless you wear a helmet every time you take the Duetto to the grocery store, you risk getting a concussion from the *&^%$ bar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to get a photo of the outside mount points, I would typically guess they should be about even with the points on the tunnel, but then this is an Alfa- seems each one off the line is a little different.

Alfajay- there are mount points for the shoulder belt back there. Perhaps just good lap belts are better than crummy ones. I really don't want a roll bar- this car isn't for playing race driver in, and low enough to go under the top does mean cracking my noggin on it, though it would be just the place to mount the shoulder belt. Seems from some of the other threads that the shoulder belt on the early seats is a bit of a hack...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely go back to the original mount points, and think a bit more on the shoulder belt.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
10,595 Posts
Alfajay- there are mount points for the shoulder belt back there.
And you found these on a car designed in the mid-1960's? Well, that would be an anachronism. Please attach a photo of what you are referring to.

Perhaps just good lap belts are better than crummy ones.
No question about that!

Obviously properly-engineered shoulder belts would be better still. But badly-engineered shoulder belts are probably the worst solution, as they will restrain you until force builds to the point at which something breaks, and then you get released abruptly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts