Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Thought I'd show a possible solution to the seat belt problem in this car. Came with laps only. I started off by fitting an inertia 3 point system from IAP, but the inertia box sat at a bad angle, feeding belt acutely up to the seat top where I fed it across with a carabiner. Recoil didn't work and i was worried by the steep angle up and over the seat (which are recarros from milano so bit stronger in compression than original). Rather than welding on new brackets, or drilling into wheel arch, I bought some "amsteel" rope, 10,000 pound breaking strain (this is incredible stuff, now replacing steel lines in marine applications). I spliced a loop to encircle a metal bracket bracing the rear shock under the car, then fed the line through a hole in the trunk just above the front end of the gas tank. I cut a slot in the inspection plate in the rear seat wall of the cabin and fed the mounting bracket from the inertia box through the plate so that the mounting bolt hole was now poking into the trunk. Secured the other end of the amsteel rope to this, so that the inertia box is now pulled back against the rear wall of the cabin just under the soft top when its folded down. Mounting the box upside down allowed exactly the right amount of room for the top to fold down without fouling. Seems like a pretty good run to the seat now, not too steep an angle and the inertia recoil works great. I have posted some pictures of the set up.

Wanted to see what you all thought, and offer this as a simple and inexpensive solution. I think it's strong enough, the weakest link is 6000 pound break strain (the coupling between the inertia box bracket and the forward end of the amsteel rope) and it's all tight with very little play. This rope doesn't stretch at all. I used a vinyl grommet and vinyl tube to protect the rope as it passed through the sheet metal hole above the gas tank.

Any comments welcomed, especially if anyone spots a weakness that may make this an unsafe arrangement.

See pics for layout

TS

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts