Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's taken my printer quite a while to get back with me on this quote. As these are going to be printed on an aluminum foil, the costs are going to be high. The main reason is a tooling charge. The tooling charge is more than the charge to print 100 stickers.
They will need to have a die cut tool made to make the 18 mm circular cut.

I spent quite a bit of time on the graphics. The second image shows the various objects I drew outlined in red. As you can see, they are an excellent match to the original. As far as I know, these stickers only came on US spec 1969 Alfas. They were placed on the crab claw style and clam shell style seat belts on Berlinas, GTVs and Spiders.

I'm setting the price at $15 for two. So, $15 for Spiders, $30 for GTVs and Berlinas. I'm going to need commitments for about 60 individual stickers or 30 sets of two (2) for me to be comfortable pulling the trigger.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
has anyone ever played around with the concept of replacing the belts themselves on the crab claws and/or trying to modify a retractor style upper shoulder belt utilizing the crab claw buckles? I have been wanting to add retractors for convenience and safety but really do like the crab claw mechanism (even if probably not as safe, no?) rather than the vintage aircraft style...

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
has anyone ever played around with the concept of replacing the belts themselves on the crab claws and/or trying to modify a retractor style upper shoulder belt utilizing the crab claw buckles? I have been wanting to add retractors for convenience and safety but really do like the crab claw mechanism (even if probably not as safe, no?) rather than the vintage aircraft style...
Can you please start you own thread on this?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
These would not be correct for a '71 Spider with the crab claws? (Keeping in mind, of course, that Alfa often confounds us with what is "correct" for any particular year.)

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These would not be correct for a '71 Spider with the crab claws? (Keeping in mind, of course, that Alfa often confounds us with what is "correct" for any particular year.)
Hey Bob, this is the first I heard (or remember hearing) that the 71 model year cars had crab claw seat belts. Does the center chrome hoop have 1971 embossed on it?

If the 71 model year cars came with the crab claw seat belts, I can only guess that they might have had these on them.

I'm still gathering data on the cars. I've got little to no information on the 1971 cars.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Hey Bob, this is the first I heard (or remember hearing) that the 71 model year cars had crab claw seat belts. Does the center chrome hoop have 1971 embossed on it?

If the 71 model year cars came with the crab claw seat belts, I can only guess that they might have had these on them.

I'm still gathering data on the cars. I've got little to no information on the 1971 cars.
When I got my car (after the misuse of more than one PO), the original belts were long gone, replaced by some godawful stiff "racing" belts that were damned near unwearable. I installed the hoop (can't remember what year is imprinted on it) and crab claws (modified a bit by installing a static shoulder belt as well). I'm sure I must have had some photographic reference else I wouldn't have chased them down, but I'm drawing a blank right now. When I get a moment I'll pull out the "Before you drive the 1971 Spider" sales brochure and see if that's where I saw them in a '71.

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I got my car (after the misuse of more than one PO), the original belts were long gone, replaced by some godawful stiff "racing" belts that were damned near unwearable. I installed the hoop (can't remember what year is imprinted on it) and crab claws (modified a bit by installing a static shoulder belt as well). I'm sure I must have had some photographic reference else I wouldn't have chased them down, but I'm drawing a blank right now. When I get a moment I'll pull out the "Before you drive the 1971 Spider" sales brochure and see if that's where I saw them in a '71.
I took a quick look online and found a few pictures that showed the hoop in a 71 spider.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own 2 1971 Spiders. They do indeed have the crab claw seat belts with the hoop. Being that these are so unique and interesting, I wouldn't change them out to a more modern seat belt unless of course you actually drive one on a daily basis. I'd then keep the original stored safely away. As far as what is embossed on the loop, both of mine show "Alfa Romeo Spider KLIPPAN 1970"

·
Out of the office!
11,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I own 2 1971 Spiders. They do indeed have the crab claw seat belts with the hoop. Being that these are so unique and interesting, I wouldn't change them out to a more modern seat belt unless of course you actually drive one on a daily basis. I'd then keep the original stored safely away. As far as what is embossed on the loop, both of mine show "Alfa Romeo Spider KLIPPAN 1970"
Fantastic. Thank you. Do the crab claws have the sticker on them?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fantastic. Thank you. Do the crab claws have the sticker on them?
Actually, I've never noticed until now. One of my sets are missing the decal whereas the other car's seat belts "do" have the decals. They are in OK but not great condition. Another thing that I noticed is the positioning of the decals. I don't know which is left or right as they are removed from the car, but on the buckle where the name KLIPPAN is shown, on one belt, the decal is above the N as shown in the earlier pic in this thread, but the other buckle has the label above the K. I thought that was kind of interesting. The belts that do have the decals are from a crash damaged vehicle that has only 16352 original miles and the new car dealer registration sticker still barely visible on the windshield. So in essence, this car is as close to original as I can find. I'll PM you with more information as we are also discussing another similar thread. :)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I found the seatbelt ends depicted in the 1971 sales brochure. Looks like the decal is on the left side (but now I wonder if they might be on both sides, being on the right on the other). I looked through four period magazines (Road & Track, Sports Car Graphic, Road Test, and Motor Trend) and while I can't see the buckles in any of them, I can see hoops.

And I can see them in the GTV as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Please do not take offense to this but sales brochures can certainly be misleading and/or wrong. Being that I own two 1971 spiders, I can assure you without any doubt that these are the correct kind of seat belts and that the labels are on each side as to provide symmetry when both buckles are buckled. See photo. It makes sense once seen. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts