Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just when I think I have worked through every crazy problem on my 164, it throws a new one my way.

Yesterday I noticed that the front, driver's side seatbelt latch (the fixed part to the driver's right) is no longer latching. You can poke the metal end from the retractable belt into the receptacle, but it doesn't click. Tried spraying some lubricant, made sure it was going all the way in, tried wiggling things - no dice.

My assumption is that the part is simply worn out, and that I'll need to find a good, used replacement. That leads to a few questions:

- How do I remove & replace the thing (again, just the right latch, NOT the whole retractable belt)? It seems attached to the seat - does the whole seat need to come out? To remove the seat, do I just take out those four allen headed screws at each corner?

- Anyone have a spare? This is for a 1991 164L US delivery car.

- Are the L and R latches interchangable? They look to be. If so, I might be better off with one from the passenger side, assuming it would have less wear?

In case you're wondering, I've been driving around with my belt clicked into the receptacle on the passenger side. Not a DOT approved procedure, I know. Plus, I can't very well carry a passenger.

Attachments

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,121 Posts
To remove latch arm from driver's seat run seat full back to access 17mm hex head bolt holding arm to seat frame. You may have to remove rear ash tray and retainer screws in center console and lift rear of console up to get bolt out.

Seat belt latch on drivers side has micro switch in it and wiring connector under seat to make seat belt light ICON go out.

Passenger side does not have that switch or wiring.

I may have spare drivers side arm somewhere but not sure where to look for it.

You should be able to take it apart and see what is wrong with latch. Probably a piece of the plastic cover broken off and jammed in mechanism

·
Super Moderator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To remove latch arm from driver's seat run seat full back to access 17mm hex head bolt holding arm to seat frame. You may have to remove rear ash tray and retainer screws in center console and lift rear of console up to get bolt out.
Yes, I was able to remove it without too much difficulty. Actually, moving the seat all the way forward seemed to make the bolt with the 17mm head more accessable. As you advised, I unscrewed the rear of the console, so it would move right a bit. Dunno if I can reassemble it that way, but I did get the offending part out.

Seat belt latch on drivers side has micro switch in it and wiring connector under seat to make seat belt light ICON go out.
I can live without that function. There are a bunch of disconnected plugs under the seat. The seatbelt light on the dash does go out, even now with the 2-wire connector from the latch unpluged (that was one of the few that was still plugged in)

Passenger side does not have that switch or wiring. I may have spare drivers side arm somewhere but not sure where to look for it.
If you can find either side, and would be willing to sell it, I'm interested.

You should be able to take it apart and see what is wrong with latch. Probably a piece of the plastic cover broken off and jammed in mechanism
It wasn't obvious how it comes apart. There are two black plastic "clamshells" around the latch, but I couldn't pry them apart - that being 22 year old plastic, I didn't pry too hard. But I couldn't see where any of the cover had broken off, and turning it upside down and blowing air through it didn't restore functionality. I think after all these years, it has just worn out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had the same problem with my wife's old Volvo. After struggling to get the seatbelt latch apart, I found a wad of Starbuck's napkin crammed in there.

Lesson...don't let sometimes clueless son-in-law borrow the car.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
I'm so glad mine doesn't have any of the seatbelt warning lights, chimes, nothing at all. ciao, chris

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,121 Posts
Looked today for spare seat belt latch from old seat I parted out but no joy yet.

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
I got a ton laying around. Let me know?
Just when I think I have worked through every crazy problem on my 164, it throws a new one my way.

Yesterday I noticed that the front, driver's side seatbelt latch (the fixed part to the driver's right) is no longer latching. You can poke the metal end from the retractable belt into the receptacle, but it doesn't click. Tried spraying some lubricant, made sure it was going all the way in, tried wiggling things - no dice.

My assumption is that the part is simply worn out, and that I'll need to find a good, used replacement. That leads to a few questions:

- How do I remove & replace the thing (again, just the right latch, NOT the whole retractable belt)? It seems attached to the seat - does the whole seat need to come out? To remove the seat, do I just take out those four allen headed screws at each corner?

- Anyone have a spare? This is for a 1991 164L US delivery car.

- Are the L and R latches interchangable? They look to be. If so, I might be better off with one from the passenger side, assuming it would have less wear?

In case you're wondering, I've been driving around with my belt clicked into the receptacle on the passenger side. Not a DOT approved procedure, I know. Plus, I can't very well carry a passenger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts